Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

A Nightforce Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A Nightforce Experience

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I sure didn't look like the smartest guy in the world either, did I?

I take a lot of heat about a lot of things. This is a fun place to lounge.

The order for the scope is going in. The only difference from yours will be 22x max and 1 MOA windage marks.

thanks, again

Roy
Roy,

I figure you have forgotten more about guns, shooting and LR then I will ever know. I am certain you will thoroughly enjoy your new scope.

Best,

-MR

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Bob,

I hear what you're saying.

Comparing a S&B to anything is beyond my comprehension.

I was eying a Lotus Elice the other day but I still drive a Zuki Side Kick.

So much good stuff and so little money.
That is in fact reality. I have retired from teaching at a college of Medicine but have been offered a job close by. I am seriously thinking of taking the job teaching in Hattiesburg, Ms just to get money to support my expensive habits like Weatherby rifles and great scopes. I can see a S&B coming home with me and maybe a Nightforce or 2. My wife will get ticked but such is life!

As to sports cars, I had a triumph tr-250 that I totallly rebuilt. Had a 7 speed transmission and nothing made my day like blowing a mustang off the road. I could lay rubber in all 7 gears. I mean the engine itself had bronze lifters, dual weber carbs, electronic ignition and all kind of stabilizing products. The car was a masterpiece until some retired coast guard guy hit me in the right rear fender and then tried to blame it on me.Twill be an interesting experience

If I had my way today I would mount a 50 cal machine on my hood and put a couple of 20 mm cannons on the back. As you get older you loose patience easily. As a dear friend of mine likes to say, I am nuts but dammit, I earned it :-)
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Heh, well you disagree but also agree. No single illumination setting is going to be optimum, or even helpful, in all conditions. Anybody trying to tell you it will be is trying to sell you something. This is one of the nicest things about their 2.5-10 for general hunting IMHO.

But more importantly, my meaning was it doesn't always have to be very dark at all for some people to want a thicker reticle. The only times I've ever thought a thinner one would be nice is on sunny summer days shooting at nicely white painted or papter targets. Never when hunting. I have found myself on the dark side of a mountain actually in the timber wishing the reticle was thicker, even in the middle of a sunny day. In conditions like that there is enough light the illuminated reticle does you no good. If you want a thicker reticle, having illumination doesn't fix it.

Now in the same conditions, some will be fine with a thin reticle. That's fine, everybody is different and has their own preferences. And of course many here don't do any "walk around hunting" at all so quickness may not ever be an issue. That's fine too. My only point was one is not a replacement for the other in all conditions for those who want it.

Jon, I sure wont disagree with with the points you have made here, and you make a good point that we are all different. After your post I decided to take my rifle out back down in the thick cottonwood bottoms behind my house just after sunset. There was enough light to see the reticle without illumination and it was dark enough that I was barely able to pickup the illumination when I pulled the knob out. So, in my case, it seems the reticle works in all huning conditions. Having said that, the first time I looked through a NF in the store, I could not see the reticle inside against a dark background, but I could see it with the illumination. Who knows, maybe I will find a "daylight" hunting situation where the reticle is difficult to pick up.

Good shooting,

=MR
Unread 06-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

ah! twin webers. Back in the day at Belchfire Stables, Lynchburg VA, I was the mechanic/tuner. I was top notch at the twin webers on the Triumph TR-.

Actually my Zuki's are parked in Idaho. I'm running rental cars here...... Hey, it's you stimulus dollars......

Regarding retical definition in various light conditions. Under actual hunting conditions in steep mountains, I felt the NF reticles were a bit thin during the very early and very late portions of the day.

The reticle on the Weaver Tactical, discontinued, MIL Dot was nearly perfect under all light conditions.

I put a Zeiss conquest with the heavy duplex style on my LRH deer/yote rifle as I carry it to and from the shooting spot.

This next rifle is a dedicated LRH rifle that is heavy enough to not be comfortable at all shooting off hand. Thus the luminated ret of the NF will be great.

Montana - don't ever think that I've forgotten more than you know. I'm just learnin.

Going for clay birds at 800 this weekend. I'm working on the drop chart at this high elevation.
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Bronze Member

I'll be damned. There are few who even know what weber carbs are let alone used them. They certainly jacked up the horsepower-torgue of my tr-250. I mean that sucker could fly. Did some racing with it and it more than met my capabilities. Everyone knows what whitewalls are but how many folks remember the pink walls. I almost wrote to some frinds in England to get fuel injection for the critter.

Course only you and I give a hoot about such things. Now I have have a wooden stocked 30-378 with a Burris scope on it . Not a nightforce or S-B but accurate at 1000 yards. A distant relative of mine Earl Chronister set the original 1000 yards (actually 1022) with a 4 inch group. I have talked to Earl and he is a thorough gentleman but I sure would not want him shooting at me even at his age.

bob chronister
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
SPONSOR

Glad to see you are coming around to the NF side Roy!! you wont be dissapointed

have a good un
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Heh, well you disagree but also agree. No single illumination setting is going to be optimum, or even helpful, in all conditions. Anybody trying to tell you it will be is trying to sell you something. This is one of the nicest things about their 2.5-10 for general hunting IMHO.

But more importantly, my meaning was it doesn't always have to be very dark at all for some people to want a thicker reticle. The only times I've ever thought a thinner one would be nice is on sunny summer days shooting at nicely white painted or papter targets. Never when hunting. I have found myself on the dark side of a mountain actually in the timber wishing the reticle was thicker, even in the middle of a sunny day. In conditions like that there is enough light the illuminated reticle does you no good. If you want a thicker reticle, having illumination doesn't fix it.

Now in the same conditions, some will be fine with a thin reticle. That's fine, everybody is different and has their own preferences. And of course many here don't do any "walk around hunting" at all so quickness may not ever be an issue. That's fine too. My only point was one is not a replacement for the other in all conditions for those who want it.
Please excuse a dumb question but am I to understand the higher power NFs do not have externally adjustable illumination, like my 2.5 - 10