Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

A Nightforce Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: A Nightforce Experience

Hey guys, don't dig up anyone's yard! Somebody might turn an ankle in one of the holes. Just water the old money tree instead, jeez you guys are soooo old school.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Did you say six MOA at three hundred? My bow shoots flatter.

I couldn't read the link. I fell asleep half way through the first paragraph. I tried twice.

Last edited by grit; 06-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Just water the old money tree instead, jeez you guys are soooo old school.

AJ
My ex wife sprayed Roundup all over my money tree a few years back and that sucker is just now beginning to come back to life.
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Hey, cut me some slack........jumping up to a Nightforce for me is similar to jumping into Lamborgini or some such. THe only things I'd recognize would be the brake, gas pedal and steering wheel. I'd probably need assistance getting out of the thing.
After all the time you spend in these forums I just can not believe you did not know that the reticle was illuminated. Heck, you have 4000 posts in LRH and I think you are kidding us. I didn't even know what a NF scope was till a year and a half ago. If you are blushing, good... you outta be. This is a good rare moment to git some digs in... no doubt what goes around will come around.

Anyway, I strongly advise you DONT get a NF, cause once you do you will have to have one on all your rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if there are guys who have sold their wives, pickups and even their dogs to get more Nightforce scopes. Just say no...
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

No worries ...

There are NF owners that are all the time finding out that the scope they bought, shot and then wanted to upgrade to an illuminated one was already illuminated.

The Nightforce guys have some great stories of people that call and want to upgrade to an illuminated reticle and they simply tell them to "pull out" on the knob ... some of them just hang up!
The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting Proverbs 12:27
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

C'mon guys, ease up on Roy. ;)

Before you beat up on him too much, it should be mentioned that while illumination can compensate for and even become more important than reticle thickness in some conditions, especially the darker it gets, it doesn't do so in all conditions.

There are plenty of conditions in which there is enough light an illuminated reticle doesn't do much of anything (unless you're talking about S&B Shortdot brightness, etc) where thicker reticles are quicker and easier to pick up. Especially when it's not quickly adjustable, when set dim enough it doesn't wash out the view in really, really, low light the illumination won't help as much as line thickness in such situations.

IIRC Nightforce is already redesigning their FFP reticle for this reason due to users' demand. I know of a couple people at least who have traded away their S&B P4F's because the lines were just too thin, illuminated or not.

In short, different people and different conditions will prefer different reticle thicknesses. Making Roy feel dumb telling him the reticle is illuminated may be premature, because the illumination may not make him like the reticle anyway.
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
There are plenty of conditions in which there is enough light an illuminated reticle doesn't do much of anything (unless you're talking about S&B Shortdot brightness, etc) where thicker reticles are quicker and easier to pick up. Especially when it's not quickly adjustable, when set dim enough it doesn't wash out the view in really, really, low light the illumination won't help as much as line thickness in such situations.
Hmmm... I dont think I can agree with ya here. I've got my reticle illumination tweaked so if the light is low enough to loose the reticle the illumination will will bring it out without washing it out in darker conditions. My only critique is NF should have a more easily adjustable illumination that can be easily adjusted without pulling the turret appart. I like my fine crosshairs very much and hope they dont change. It's nice to be able to quarter up the eyeball of an elk @ 500 yds with your cross hairs.