Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Nightforce Direct Mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

Nightforce Direct Mount

Well after stumbling across this site about three months ago I have spent many hours trawling through articles and past threads learning as much as possible. I must say that I have never come across a site with such a huge amount of in depth info on longrange shooting and hunting in general.
I finally made up my mind and ordered my first rong range hunting rig. I chose a 338 edge made by Shawn Carlock from Defensive Edge.
Anyway after talking to Shawn he recommended that I put a nightforce direct mount on this rifle. Now I don't know alot about this mounting system versus the picatinny rail and rings setup and was wondering if anybody had experience with the direct mount. I am also planning to install an angle cosign indicator and one of the anti cant bubble levels. Would this be a problem? I am worried that there would not be much leeway to play with when mounting the scope. I am planning to install a NXS 5.5-22x56 scope.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Here is a photo of the NF Direct Mount. If this is the mount you are talking about then NO you will not be able to add the ADIMT (Angle Degree Indicator) nor a bubble level.

Also I would recommend getting the 50mm over the 56mm because you will not really notice the difference.

The average size of a human’s eye pupil at night is 7 mm and in daylight it is about 4mm on average. If the optic give you a 7mm of exit pupil and you are using it for day use more than half the light will not reach the retina. I have also noticed if you are getting too much light and you look away you see light spots were ever you look and the targets look washedout. On a lot of my scopes I use a light reducer so I do not get the light spots and the washout is not there.

Size of bell divided by magnification = exitpupil. Hare are some examples.
56/22x=2.54mm
56/5.5x=10.18mm

50/22x=2.27mm
50/5.5x=9.09mm

The sweet spots for the 56 and the 50mm at Night and Day use.

50/7.14x = 7mm night use and for day use 50/12.5x = 4mm
56/8x = 7mm night use and for day use 56/14x = 4mm

You are really not get much advantage over the 50mm. I feel there is a bigger disadvantage and that is you have to go with tall rings 1.00” at the low to 1.25” were the 50mm you can do 0.885”.

Hope this helps.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
mike@csgunworks.com

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, both the angle/cosine indicator and the bubble can be mounted directly to the scope.

If Shawn is recommending a particular mounting system, I'm sure it is top notch. I looked for a picture that showed the scope mounted accessories (angle and bubble) but couldn't find it (there are pictures of rifles with those on them, on this site).

I have a one piece mounting system similar to the NF for my Savage and it works great.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

The Sinclair International bubble levels mount directly to the scope tube and come in 1 inch and 30 mm straight and offset. I use the offset because I find it easier to see from behind the scope. The cosine indicator from Sniper Tools can be mounted to the scope tube with a Weaver low ring. Nice job on jumping right in!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help guys .

MDP is out of range again now for a month as he is a pearl diver in 1 of Australia's most remote regions and wont be back in for a while but he would apprecieate all the comments.

Thanks guys

JAWZ