Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NF Rings and Bases on Accumark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM

NF Rings and Bases on Accumark

Anyone have the Nightforce Rings and a single Base on there Accumark?
NF and my Gunsmith said the foot print was the same as the Remington 700 long action and
they would fit. Any thoughts on any other tactical (Robust) mount besides Near and Farrell would also be appriciated. Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: NF Rings and Bases on Accumark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit19 View Post
Anyone have the Nightforce Rings and a single Base on there Accumark?
NF and my Gunsmith said the foot print was the same as the Remington 700 long action and
they would fit. Any thoughts on any other tactical (Robust) mount besides Near and Farrell would also be appriciated. Thanks
Wish I had a picture to show you with a NF Rem 700 base and a EGW REm 700 base....but my results with a EGW and NF base that would supposedly work on a Weatherby was a waste of time/effort/money.

Have had excellent results on with Farrel and Near products though. About your best bet for the Wby MKV action.

Here's a pic of what right looks right

Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Autorotate,

Thanks that is great information. Right now I have the Talley rings and bases made for Weatherby bought from Weatherby for Mark V magnums.
What is strange is that I called Nightforce and asked about this and the guy told me a Remy 700 long action would fit. My gunsmith told me the same thing.
I am going to hold off and get the Near mfg. Rings and Bases which if I did'nt get them I don"t think I would ever be 100% satisfied. Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

Bandit19...good call on the Near base....you'll be 100% satisfied with his product.

Weatherby actions typically have very good exterior dimension tolerances...but there can be some variation. If you should decide to skim bed your base, here's a good article. It might seem intimidating the first time, but after the first one, you'll know you've done everything you could've to ensured a 100$ stress free optic mounting system.

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

Last edited by Autorotate; 10-06-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Just echoing what the others have said; the Weatherby Accumark action is NOT the same as the Remington 700 action. NF told me the same thing - I learned the hard way. I ended up getting a Near Mfg. base that I bedded to my Accumark action.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

I was told the same thing. I believe the holes line up the same but there is something different about them and I would really like to know what the difference is. I think I read once that the top of the Rem. receiver has a different taper than does the Weatherby.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two receivers and why a base for a Remington, even though it will screw to the top of the receiver, won't work.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

The "height" as viewed from the side of the action is different from the front of the ejection port as to rear. As you stated, hole spacing is same same...allowing you to physically mount it....but with so much stress, your results will be less than ideal. This was my experience...others may be different.

Just my opinion...the Weatherby's MKV actions have very good exterior dimensional tolerances/consistency as compared to a Rem 700 actions. I shoot a Rem 700P 338 Norma, and it's a straight shooting rifle....just saying.

That said, I still believe in skim bedding a base to the action is a good measure to ensure you extract the most from your rifle....for the same reasons most bed their rifles.

Keep it fun and go shoot at long range!