Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Newcon Rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Newcon Rangefinders

I have used Bushnells and Nikons under a wide variety of conditions since they first came out. Have obtained best readings (fastest, farthest and from small targets) just at or past dusk, and cloudy days vs sunny.
Did some deer one evening where we could barely see them with naked eyes, laser gave readings as the buck walked towards me. Seem to consistently get poorest performance when the sun is bright and high.
Have a Leica 1200 now and outperforms the others but still is no-where near 1200 on game. Best so far is just under 700 on a bright day on some mulies. Still a hell of a long distance for my shooting ability.

Trick is to hold the damn laser still.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Newcon Rangefinders

The YP1000 I have gets better and better after the light gets dimmer. I waited until after the sun went down and from a spotting hill I use frequently use it went to the base of the hill at 1340 yds and a bit further a few other times. It would only go to 1340 consistantly at the base though. I never have got to 1500 yds with it yet but I'm sure it would if the color and light were right. It will pick up dark rocks and spruce trees some times more quickly than some lighter color objects you would think be more reflective alot of times too. Holding them perfectly still has given me gains of up to 2-300 yds over a shotty rest of sorts every time too. Mine is great to 600 yds, but now my shooting ability is creaping outside this range and am becoming limited by the lasers ability at times. The time will come shortly that I could make the shot but the LRF can't, and I'm going to hate it.... but what can you do. $$ Work harder.