Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Newcon Rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2002, 11:47 PM

Newcon Rangefinders

Would any one be interested in the Newcon LRM 1500 (monocular) or the LRB 7x50 1500 (binocular/rangefinder) for $270 and $650 respectively? Or any other Newcon product at similar discounts?

I ask because I am considering stocking some of their products. Right up front I must tell you that I do not accept credit cards. You would have to send funds with the order or have it delivered UPS COD.

I know this is a little strange. I got interested in a range finder for myself and after looking at what is out there I will be ordering a LRF 1500 in a few days. After seeing what other sources charged I looked into it and found that I could offer them at a considerably lower price.

I will check my email and this site when I get back in a few days. Newcons web site is Newcon-optik" TARGET=_blank>www.newcon-optik.com.Newcon-optik</A>

If anyone has any experience, good or bad, with Newcon products please let me know.

Thank you,

John Poulter
Old 07-16-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: Newcon Rangefinders

I just received a LRM1500 i ordered for myself. It will be some time before I get a chance to get it out in the field. I plan to compare it to a Leica in late August.

I'll pass along more once I get to use it.

John
Old 07-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I just got a set of LRB 7X50's a couple of days ago (for about the same price with shipping you mention from www.binoculars.com ).

I played with them a bit yesterday. Can't do a "real" test here in yuppyville but here's what I've found so far:

In very bright sunlight, I was able to range a white building out past 1150. Not very consistant though, it only returned a range about 1/2 the time. In the 900-1000 range it would return a number every time.

Ranging pine trees (the very "tip top of a particular tree on skyline) it was consistant out to about 850. On a tree with a gap in the foiliage where I could see the trunk, it was good to about 950 aiming on the trunk.

I suppose being steady makes a difference, right? I was just holding them by hand, leaning against my car--not all that steady.

I know that bright sunlight is bad. But what's worse, the sun behind you and lighting up the targets or the sun in your face ranging the "shady side" of the targets? I'm guessing the sun being behind you would be worse but that's just a guess. That's how it was yesterday. Maybe I'll do the same test earlier in the day where the conditions would be opposite.

So far at least, they seem to be doing better that Darryl's report of the Leica 1200's. And they also double as a nice set of binoculars....

Anyway, I'll put them through a real test (ranging deer) in a couple of weeks when I get back to Montana.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Definitely sounds interesting. Haw far at dusk and dawn?
Old 08-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

done any more testing with the rangefinder,thanks,keith
Old 08-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

I might be interested depending on your test results. Try it on the brightest day and try ranging spots in a field, like maybe a patch of grass that is noticeably darker or a woodchuck mound. It needs to be able to range minimally reflective objects, even in bright light. If it will do this out to 1,000 yards in any conditions, I'd buy one. At dusk in low light, my Yardage Pro 1000 will range a building up to 1200 yards. In practical hunting conditions, on practical hunting targets though, it's worthless much over 650. I hope this one is better but if it's eye safe, I just don't see how.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:03 PM

I just got back from a prarie dog hunt in Wyoming. I had the Newcon LRM 1500, a Bushnell compact 800 and a Leica 800.

To be perfectly honest I was not terribly pleased with any of them. We hunted hilly terrain with light to heavy grass cover. There were a few trees here and there. The Newcon had the best optics (see note at end) the Bushnell was almost as good and the Leica was fuzzy.

Now to the important part, ranging. All three were a disapointment. On the grass they would only range to approximately 300 yards on a consistant basis. On the sage brush they would do a little better. Of the three the leica was the best with ranges of up to 450 yards being given on some of the grassy slopes. All of them ranged over 600 yards to trees.

Egonomically the Newcon was the easiest to hold steady. Its buttons are also well placed. The Smaller Leica was harder to hold staedy and its button was slightly awkard to reach while holding the unit steady. The Bushnell was somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately no one seems to be able to make a portable rangefinder that works every time for less than severl thousand dollars.

Note: The optics on the Newcon and the Leica are not adjustable. I do not belive that the Bushnell is adjustable but I do not specifically remember. The Newcon and Bushnell were clear for me but the Leica was not. However, another user found the Leica to be very clear for him while the Newcon was not in focus. I looked at our binoculars and found that we have put in opposite corrections on the eyepieces. I use a negative correction while the other user puts in a positive correction. Just something else to consider.

John