Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Newcon Range finders... ANYONE???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 07:57 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Newcon Range finders... ANYONE???

Has anyone had the oportunity to use or test the newcon range finders .. either the monocular or binocular??? they seem reasonable and able to range refelctive targets to 1400+
Old 04-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Newcon Range finders... ANYONE???

Hey Wyo,

How do you get the game to wear reflective vests? I might have to give up my Barr & Stroud!
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:00 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Well... it is kind alike cow tippin'.. you gotta sneak up in the middle of the night.. slip on the vest.. then come back in the morning....It is an old indian secret...
Old 04-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Ric

If this means anything, I see a lot of them for sale for some reason?

Later
DC
Old 04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Hi Wyo,
I have a Newcon 1500 and here is my opinion.
Overall I like it, and I think it is a good rangefinder for the price ($250). I have used it next to a Leica 800 and they would both give similar ranges (+/- 5 yds) out to 900 yards, then the Leica would not range. Circumstances were ideal when I was doing those tests - mid day, ranging to sandstone mostly. I have used the Newcon to range elk and cattle out to 800 yards, and reflective surfaces (buildings) at 1600 yards.
Here is the opinion, buyers advice part. Don't buy the Newcon (unless you want mine for $230!). Spend the extra money for a Leica as they are better overall. The Leica 800 will not range as far, but is more compact and I believe will range under worse conditions than the Newcon (Leica 800 ~$300). The Leica 1200 is the same size as their 800 and works over 1200 yards more consistantly. Leica also has some new (more expensive) models that do constant scan mode which I have heard great things about.
Buy Leica if you have over $300 to spend. If you don't, then go ahead and get Newcon as it is better than the Nikon / Bushnell 800 models I have used for the same price.

With any of the rangefinders, being steady is the biggest key.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

My LRB 7X50's are at Newcon right now being repaired or replaced. We'll see how the pair they send me back works.

I really liked them as the optics were good and they ranged things really well (deer at 900+, buildings to 1300+)--but only on a nice sunny day. Most rangefinders don't work very well in bright sunlight but will work much better in low light conditions. These things were the opposite. They were worthless during low light conditions (last 1/2 hour of shooting light, etc--even worse on a cloudy, gloomy day).

Newcon couldn't explain it (it even says in the owner's manual that they won't work as well in bright sunlight) so hopefully there was just something wrong with them. We'll see. If they work after the sun goes down as well as they do at high noon, I'll be happy. If not, I'll be looking for something else.

Anybody find a decent price for the Vector 1500's anywhere yet?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:58 PM

Wyo. I bought newcon LMR1500 recently they will range farther than my Leica800.They seem very finicky to lighting conditions.Also the aiming square in them is HUGE. I would spend a little more money and stay away from Newcon. Tater Man