Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Newcon LRB 7X40 3000 Pro Initial Impressions:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

Newcon LRB 7X40 3000 Pro Initial Impressions:

I've only had it a couple of days, but here are my thoughts so far:

Damn!

It compared with my 7X40's 1500 Model with a 300 RUM round for size perspective:

While it may look the same, the laser inside of this thing is a whole different animal...you can actually hear it fire! While the beam divergence was only slighly larger on the 1500 model (it's pretty good), the laser in the 3000 Pro is about 10 times brighter (rough eyeball estimate) and is completely free of voids, etc in the pattern.

In any case, enough mumbo jumbo. I've only had it a couple of days so these pictures aren't representative of its ultimate capabilities, they're just what I happened to have handy at the time. I've only had it out of the house once so far for a few minutes looking for stuff to range (damn work schedules/wife's work schedule/kids to take care of!)...most of the stuff from the vantage point I chose was too close to be interesting. But here are a couple shots:

It wasn't the absolute worst conditions, but you can see the sun is shining and there's a fair amount of mirage between me and the targets. Had there been any good targets in view a couple hundred yards farther I have no doubt it would have gotten them. And under better conditions....

The sun had gone behind the cloud for these shots so it was better conditions:

In bright sunlight it tops out between 1800-1900 yds on those trees. Of course they're over relatively level ground (you have trees in the reticle separated by over 1000 yds distance) so I think it will do even better on steep hillsides in mountain country. Nevertheless, not to bad.

But one of the best features as far as hunting is concerned, is target selection. About the only "limit" I felt with the old 7X40 up to the 1500 yd range was ranging small objects. Sometimes you just couldn't get them. It could range a hillside or big tree at 1500 but a deer? No, not even close. I got them out to 1000 when things were perfect but beyond 7-800 or so you had to be really careful you weren't reading the hillside behind the deer. Luckily this was better during hunting season and the worst in the summer time with tall grass that hid most of their bodies.

This is pretty typical of all rangefinders. They'll give you the range of whatever returns the strongest reflection. The first method for improving this is keeping the beam divergence as low as possible so a larger percentage of the laser is on the deer vs. the hillside behind it. And these have the best that I know of short of the Vector IV (yes, I actually measured it):

But even with a tight beam, at some range it is simply so much bigger than the deer you're likely to get a reading from whatever is behind him because more of the signal is returned from that range. This is the natural way most "hunter grade" rangefinders work. And it's the way this one works in "Automatic Selection Mode."

The difference is, this unit will range both the deer and the hillside behind it. It'll let you decide if you want the range for whatever returns the strongest signal, whatever was the farthest object (if you need to range through a screen of brush or something this would be useful).

But most useful for I figure over 90% of LRH is the setting it to return the "first target" range. It'll range the deer and the hillside behind it. But it'll tell you the range of the deer.

Here's an example of this at work:

What most rangefinders would say:

It is telling you the range of the trees behind the pole, because that's where most of the laser is reflecting from.

In First Target Mode:

First target, every time. This thing ranges small objects like nothing I've seen. I can't wait to see how far I can range a deer next month.....

Another big thing people will notice is how friggen fast it returns ranges--basically instantly. The old 7X40's were pretty darn fast most of the time, but on longer range objects where they were struggling a bit it might take close to a second (I think it actually fires the laser again or something).

But not these, the specs list less than 0.3 seconds and I believe them. It's pretty much as fast as you can press the button whether you get a range or not. And of course you can just hold down the button for rapid fire "scan mode" but I find it ranges so fast when you do that it's hard to even read the ranges before the next one comes up.... In any case, it'll either range it or it wont pretty much instantly...you don't have to spend a bunch of time waiting and hoping.

Anyway, just some initial comments on the rangefinding abilities I've found so far. I'm quite impressed. I'll have more as I get more time with it....

This thing is the real deal, folks. Just a couple of years ago I was lusting over trying to find a Vector 1500, or find a used "Old" Geovid for a price I could afford (expecting to pay way more). Technology is catching up...just a few years ago anything with this capability would have cost 5 times as much....

BTW, many of those pictures look a little phunky with lots of black around them...this is the fault of my camera not agreeing with the eyepiece of the rangefinder--it couldn't get the full FOV. Don't worry, that's not what it looks like with your eyeball.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:24 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Newcon LRB 7X40 3000 Pro Initial Impressions:

Thanks for the review, very interesting. I look forward to reading more about the Newcons. I find my ground hog shooting limited by my ability to range a 'hog standing in the middle of a fairly flat fied. Maybe these are the answer?

Rick
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Nice peice of technology. I'm hoping it does as well for you in field conditions. Newcon has come quite a way since I last looked at one. Have they solved the repeatability issue?

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jon A,

That is very impressive. Could you tell us if these range readings of +2000 yards are repeatable or a one in ten tries type thing.

If they are consistant and repeatable I would say that is the best "ranging" range finder on the market. The Swarovski will not do that at +2000 yards consistantly.

I have gotten several 1800-1900 yard measurements with a VERY few right at the 2000 yard range but nothing consistantly past about a mile with the Swari in bright light conditions.

Good report, now spill the details on cost and such!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Found it on Ebay for $1,687.40 [buy it now]
Old 07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Bronze Member

Beat ebay by $100+.
http://www.atafa.com/sports/product_...ducts_id=77746

DK
Old 07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, the first two pics it would do it every time I pressed the button. That's why I'm pretty sure I could have still gotten them even if they were a couple hundred farther away. But I know what you're talking about and this will do that when you get to the limit of range/target size/reflectiveness/conditions. For example, I have gotten trees beyond 1900 in bright sunlight but usually when that happens I'll try 5 more times and not get it...just too far for that target and those conditions...but when the sun goes behind the cloud or horizon it'll get the same ones every time. Trees in the 1600-1700+ range are every time, easily, even on the brightest day. And like I said, I think if I had a steep hillside facing me they'd do a lot better than they are over that flat ground.

Sorry, I was sure I had mentioned the price...$1650-$1680 depending upon where you buy. I'd suggest buying from a well respected source that has a good return policy--as I would for any range finder, especially one this expensive--in case you get a dud (which can and does happen with all brands). But I will say a few years ago when I delt directly with Newcon for my dud 7X50's their service was excellent and they exchanged it for one that worked no problem.

Meister, I'm not sure what you mean about consistency issues. I don't have any experience with their cheap monocular units, but I've had the original 7X40's a while and had 7X50's for quite a while before that:

Neither had any sort of repeatability issue. Now my first 7X50's could have been described that way I guess. That POS just didn't work worth a damn. But as mentioned, I complained to Newcon and they exchanged it for one that did. I've been happy with the stuff ever since.