Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

I got my hands on both of them for a few minutes in the parking lot at Scheels in Sparks, NV. Wish I had more time with them but based on those few minutes, I'm leaning towards the Zeiss.

The Zeiss reads faster. The numbers where by far easier to read and the glass seemed brighter with better contrast. I also liked the target better in the Zeiss. It was a cross hair compared to a "O" shape. Plus the Zeiss costs less.

This comparison was a bit frustrating because the objects to range from the parking lot where a bit limited so I wasn't able to determine which one ranged the farthest. This is really what I wanted to know. A storm was breaking and there was a little bit of snow still coming down with the sun shining through intermittently. With these conditions the farthest either would range was 1403 yards on the same storage elevator.

The Scheels salesman was pushing the Swaro and said that if I bought it and didn't like it I could return it and get the Zeiss. After trying both of them I'm seriously thinking of doing the opposite - get the Zeiss and take it back for the Swaro if I don't like it.

Paul
Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Paul, Hmmmm interesting. Now I really want to spend a day with my Swaro, the newer Leica and the Zeiss. I am a sick man.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

anybody else have any field time with one of these, I'm in the need of a new rangefinder and am interested in this, good price, just wanted to see how it compared to Leica and swaro. In was hoping the quality and function would be between leica and swaro. I figured maybe some of the optics suppliers got to do some testing,

Travis
Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed View Post
anybody else have any field time with one of these, I'm in the need of a new rangefinder and am interested in this, good price, just wanted to see how it compared to Leica and swaro. In was hoping the quality and function would be between leica and swaro. I figured maybe some of the optics suppliers got to do some testing,

Travis
The owner of the my local gun shop is going to order a few once he becomes a Zeiss dealer. He's going to let me try it out. He said it might be a few weeks. I'll let you know more once this happens.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

did i miss how much the Zeiss sells for?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
did i miss how much the Zeiss sells for?

$700

Paul
Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

I've seen them for 650, just real curious about it, always thought zeiss glass was good. Just wanted to see how the laser worked, if it did close to what they advertise.