Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

I'm talking about the monocular version. Has anyone used one?

How do they compare to the Swaro? I've read where someone said it was better but didn't give specifics. I'm just about to buy the Swaro but if the new Zeiss ranges farther I'd rather get it instead.

Any response appreciated,

Paul
Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NEW Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder

I took one out side a sports store in Bufflao Wy and shot it down the street. It is lightning fast, but there was nothing far enough to tell anything about range. I have a friend that bought one also. He has ranged goats to 7 or 800 mid day I think. I doubt it will out range the Swaro but I really can't say. I have a swaro now and I may be going back to the Leica. I have had a few issues with the large beam and the large reticle circle on my Swaro. I guess you really have to pick one for your personal needs. They all have weak and strong points.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

Jeff.

Have you tried the Newcon 2500 or 3500 range finder? I spoke with Joe Starns awhile back and he suggested I try his "3500" when I pick up my rifles. I guess he has a friend that bought the Swaro's and after a comparision with the Newcon, he sold the Swaro's and bought a Newcon.

I still have a couple months to decide. I would love to see the new Zeiss do the job!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRTSHTR View Post
Jeff.

Have you tried the Newcon 2500 or 3500 range finder? I spoke with Joe Starns awhile back and he suggested I try his "3500" when I pick up my rifles. I guess he has a friend that bought the Swaro's and after a comparision with the Newcon, he sold the Swaro's and bought a Newcon.

I still have a couple months to decide. I would love to see the new Zeiss do the job!

Tha newcons definatly go the distance. But they are bigger and the glass quality is not the best. The 3500 is a bit pricey too. I don't know, but I sure would like to spend a day in the field with a Leica, zeiss and my Swaro. I think that is the only way I would know which one is for me.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Tha newcons definatly go the distance. But they are bigger and the glass quality is not the best. The 3500 is a bit pricey too. I don't know, but I sure would like to spend a day in the field with a Leica, zeiss and my Swaro. I think that is the only way I would know which one is for me.

Jeff

Broz,
I read somewhere that the new Zeiss has the smallest beam compared to Swaro andLeica. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I should be able to get my hands on one this weekend and compare it directly to the Swaro. I'll report back.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstimac View Post
Broz,
I read somewhere that the new Zeiss has the smallest beam compared to Swaro andLeica. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I should be able to get my hands on one this weekend and compare it directly to the Swaro. I'll report back.
Thanks! Please do.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Gold Member

I tried the newcon and it sucks! I tried pretty much everything and finally stepped up and bought the swaro.