Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

new tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: new tactical

Check out the Sightron SIII line of scopes. They are really really nice and not too bad on price. You can also get a MOA reticle too, which makes holding wind easy. As well as fast hold over for "shorter" shots. Personally I think they are one of the best scopes for a decent price.

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Glass Bedded-Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM

thanks for all the input. anything anyone can add will be much appreciated
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with 6x6, just send it to Leupold and spend the one hundred sum odd bucks for the turrets. While its there spend another hundred bucks and change the reticle if you want. Nothing wrong with the scope you have.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 PM

I'll have to shoot them a email and ask them what they can do for me and some costs. Thanks for the suggestion

P.S. Leupold's new site is up and running! Dont know how different it looks from what it use to be but it seems pretty neat and easy to navigate!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDflyfisher View Post
I'll have to shoot them a email and ask them what they can do for me and some costs. Thanks for the suggestion

P.S. Leupold's new site is up and running! Dont know how different it looks from what it use to be but it seems pretty neat and easy to navigate!

Can you be more specific on what Leupold you have now? 30mm LR version, 1" version?? You may already have all of the scope you need. You can go in many directions with the scope you already have.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDflyfisher View Post
I need some advice on a new scope for my Rem 700 .308. I already have a Leupold VX-III 6.5x20x40mm with a varmint reticle outfitted on the rifle.
Just regular ol' VX-III not the VX-I.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...mm-side-focus/
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDflyfisher
bruce, glare performance hasn’t been a personal issue for me, but I have taken what you said into consideration. Do a lot of these higher end scopes i.e vortexes and now to my interest weaver have huge problems with glare in there higher power scopes and what can i do to rid the glare if it is a issue with the higher power.... sunshades?
I'm talking about veiling glare, not lens flare. It degrades contrast in most hunting situations. Low glare is what makes the image in good German scopes pop out at you. You wouldn't notice much glare in a VX-III, because those scopes have average to above average (low) glare.

Of all the scopes discussed in his thread, Sightron and Millett have the worse glare. Vortex is next (still below average). The Leupold is best. Which model Weaver are you looking at?

Glare increases for larger apertures and higher magnification. You need a large aperture for big game. If you go with one of these scopes with high glare, don't buy one that goes higher than 14X mag, and use a 4" sunshade.

You can make your VX-III work but it's not optimum. I would go with larger aperture and lower magnification. 4-12X50 to 4.5-14X50 would be good. I don't see why you need 20X, unless you have vision problems like astigmatism.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent