Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New spotting scope advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: New spotting scope advice

I know this won't be popular, but here goes anyway. Take a look at the KOWA.A lot of longe range targaret shooters have chosen this scope over all others for a reason! A check on any number of the match shooters web sites that sell gear for theses shooters, you'll find a lot of KOWA scopes. The test I like is a side beside comparison looking at bullet holes at 200 and 300 yards at the same power settings. My own has the 27X eyepeice. As far as taking that LEUPOLD 50mm to Alaska for sheep, I would tell you it's a great choise, most sheep guides have and use them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

FWIW the accomplished HP shooters that can afford better glass don't stick with the Kowas. At least a number won't. I know that Optolyth is much clearer. Its huge though. And the Leica and Zeiss are both clearer. The army swapped from Kowa to optolyth to Leica.

I'd love to buy a Leica, but with putting it all in your backpack I may rethink it a bit more and head back towards the Leupold option.

All that being said, the Kowa is not a bad scope. Just not the very top of the line.

And I'd sure love to be able to compare the Swarovski to the Leica and Zeiss. I am thinking there could not be much if any difference. But until I could compare, I wont' know for sure. Have never seen a Swarovski on the HP lines.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
When I finally get to go Dall sheep hunting in Alaska, I will leave the Swaro in base camp, and buy a Leupold to take up those 50 degree inclines!

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a good point that I certainly have considered (size and weight) Regardless of price the swarovski and leica are not small or light by any means. I first agreed with the idea of keeping the swarovskis in base camp (size factor) but I then thought why have both. Yes, I realize that a lot of glassing can be done from the lower altitudes.

Another thought I have is on the Leupolds. With influence of the wind river products, I don't think the glass is of the same quality as the older Gold ring. Anyone agree /disagree
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Huntem... check out www.brunoshooters.com he has quite an assortment of Swaro everything... and at a price not usually found anywhere else... rifles come and go, but a quality optic is a friend for life... hope this helps...
Old 02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Guys, check out the premier reticles spider web spotting scope that will be out soon. Chris and Dick have been working hard to get this scope on the market, and contrary to fashion these days, they won't release it till ist 100%, which is why its notout just yet. Ive seen a prototype and i will be buying one when they are released.. and thats froma guy who usualy only uses european optics.. give premiera call and tell em Pete Lincoln says Hi.
Pete
Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Well I'm not much for purchasing used items but I did this afternoon. Rather than paying $1500 for the 65mm Swarovski, I paid $1100 and bought a 65mm Swarovski from the bargain cave in the Wheeling, WV Cabelas. Scope body, 20-60 eye piece, case and caps all included. With the condition and product quality, I feel pretty comfortable with having a quality scope for many years to come.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.