Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New spotting scope advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member

New spotting scope advice

I am looking to purchase a new spotting scope. My most recent optics purchased have been either Kahles/Swarovski. I like the STS 65 & 80 but WOW mucho $$$$. I have the money but looking for an other option. I realize that you are talking about the best glass but a dollar is still a dollar.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: New spotting scope advice

...I have an AT 20-60 x 65 HD...buy the Swarovski...you'll never regret it... IMHO...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM

I too own the swaros in both spotting scopes and binos. the very best.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

I agree with the others, Swaro rules the roost. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

But, Kowa makes a super nice spotter for less money..FWIW..sakofan.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Other candidates would be Zeiss Diascope, but has less ocular options , Leica Televid APO 77 but is silver or Optplyth. I have an Optolyth TBS 100. It is tough, green rubber armoured and the soft case is also green if it matters.

The only very minor thing against the Swarovski is the focus wheel around the tube. The small wheel things on the Leica and Optolyth seems easier to use in getting a very fine focus. Nothing anginast the mechanical system you are just disturbing the scope and so the image less with a wheel type thing.

Whatever you get it is worth the extra for the HD/APO version and a good tripod like a Bogen/Manfrotto 055NAT3 is a must (also available in green).

Good luck with whatever you get.

David
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Bronze Member

Hhttp://www.eagleoptics.com/index.as...;pid=1220untem,

I hear ya on the price------------- check out this one. I've had one for over a year now and I love it. I use it for shooting NRA high power across the course and John Garand match's. My friend bought the Zeiss 65mm at the same time and paid big bucks and they are so close it's almost undetectable except mine has longer eye relief. The Swaro's are by far the best I have looked through if you got the money!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

I use Swarovski 10x42 SLC's and a Swarovski 20-60X by 80mm spotting scope and believe them to be the best. I have found orange colored rockchucks on top of orange colored rocks at almost two miles away with the spotter. The only way I could tell they were rockchucks is because the resolution on the Swaro is so good that I could tell a difference in texture of orange fur and orange rock!

One other spotter you might want to look at is the Leupold 15-45X60. It has 90% the clarity of the Swaro at half the weight and half the price. When I finally get to go Dall sheep hunting in Alaska, I will leave the Swaro in base camp, and buy a Leupold to take up those 50 degree inclines! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.