Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

New "smart" rangefinder

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,709
Re: New "smart" rangefinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I figured it would be close to that... If it doesn't spit out MOA, I'll wait for one that does.
Me too ... it'll probably take me that long to save up ... without my wife killing me.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patagonia Mountains, Arizona
Posts: 757
Re: New "smart" rangefinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I figured it would be close to that... If it doesn't spit out MOA, I'll wait for one that does.
Without an anemometer coupled to the processor why bother? You've still got enter a bunch of keystrokes to get the windage information into the calculator. A printed lookup card in moa or mils is faster and a whole lot cheaper. Requiring a BDC scope defeats the whole point of having the calculations done in the rangefinder.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: New "smart" rangefinder

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
Without an anemometer coupled to the processor why bother? You've still got enter a bunch of keystrokes to get the windage information into the calculator. A printed lookup card in moa or mils is faster and a whole lot cheaper.
Good point, but you could just do a printed windage chart. Having the RF do all the calcs for alt, temp and angles to get drops with a push of the button would be very useful to get actual real time info.

Quote:
Requiring a BDC scope defeats the whole point of having the calculations done in the rangefinder.
I agree completely. It's pointless to for the RF to do the calcs for yardage. It's just an extra step. Calculating the MOA or Mils is much more efficient, but then that would render the key feature of the Huskemaw scope obsolete. Not good for business.... Not holdimg my breath that BOTW will put out an MOA version, but I hope I'm wrong. In the end it's only good business sense for them. The question is, can they let go of their paradigm?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patagonia Mountains, Arizona
Posts: 757
Re: New "smart" rangefinder

[QUOTE=MontanaRifleman;344317]
Quote:
The question is, can they let go of their paradigm?
Someone will put enough of the required sensors into one unit to make it useful. Carrying a Kestrel, rangefinder, GPS, and a PDA is nuts. Not from weigh but just trying to handle them all. Those functions might as well all be the riflescope since it's needed regardless.

If someone invents a portable kilojoule laser first it will make drop, inclination, windage, and rangefinding irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: New "smart" rangefinder

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

Someone will put enough of the required sensors into one unit to make it useful. Carrying a Kestrel, rangefinder, GPS, and a PDA is nuts. Not from weigh but just trying to handle them all. Those functions might as well all be the riflescope since it's needed regardless.

If someone invents a portable kilojoule laser first it will make drop, inclination, windage, and rangefinding irrelevant.
Good idea to put it all in the scope, but it has a couple of short falls. One being recoil and the other being cost per unit. It would a lot more cost effective to have a separate RF unit with multiple scopes.

Dont have a clue what a kilojoule is but it sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: New "smart" rangefinder
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's a "junk "leica 1200 rangefinder worth dust Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 10 02-20-2011 05:20 AM
WTS: 3 "not long range" guns (Mini-14, 541T-HB, "Old" Vaquero) mattj Guns For Sale 6 03-01-2010 02:10 AM
"True Ballistic Range" with Leupold rangefinder Bob33 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 08-17-2009 11:43 PM
FS/Trade:Barr & Stroud rangefinder."SOLD" smack Guns For Sale 0 06-27-2004 06:18 PM
barr and stroud rangefinder "zero" Darryl Cassel Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 08-22-2002 10:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC