Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Sightron Recticles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM

New Sightron Recticles

I've been saving up to get a nice long range scope and am about the pull the trigger. I have been looking at a SIII Sightron 6-24 and noticed they released some new reticles. I looked around and couldn't find any stores with the new scopes so I called Sightron up. They answered the phone on the first ring and the didn't even transfer me once. The lady on the line said they are going to start shipping scopes with the new reticles in March 2011. The one I'm considering is the new LR MOA reticle. I'm new to long range scopes and I'm curious if there are any thoughts or opinions on Sightron's reticles.
Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SIII Series - SIII SS 6-24X50 LRMOA
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Sightron Recticles

I love my sightron and am ordering another this week. Plan to outfit all my rifles with S3 series scopes. They are great. As for the new reticles, I'm very excited about the moa reticle, something i've wanted for a while! And now in my favorite brand of scope, I'm very happy.

I think you'll be very happy with one. The only thing I'm wondering now is, will they retrofit older scopes with the new reticles? I have a 6-24x50 LRMD I'd like to have the moa reticle put in.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Is that a true MOA reticle?
It looks like the substensions are in whole inch measurements.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Oliveralan

Why are you excited for the new MOA reticle, what advantage do you see in it? I've heard the Sightron MD reticles are too thick for some, what is your opinion?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

I shoot f-class and for holding off for quick let offs or gusts it would be excellent. Also for measuring windage and elevation adjustments for long range is real important. The Mildot reticle I have in my SIII is near useless, too fat and the dots are too widely spaced to be of any real use
Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
I love my sightron and am ordering another this week. Plan to outfit all my rifles with S3 series scopes. They are great. As for the new reticles, I'm very excited about the moa reticle, something i've wanted for a while! And now in my favorite brand of scope, I'm very happy.

I think you'll be very happy with one. The only thing I'm wondering now is, will they retrofit older scopes with the new reticles? I have a 6-24x50 LRMD I'd like to have the moa reticle put in.
+1 Same here. I just learned about this new reticle offering. I'm excited!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Striker and Oliveran,

Not trying to hyjack, but you are obviously Sightron fans, so I have some Q's for you.

I've always been a Leupold and especially Nightforce fan. I have a few of each, but I find myself looking into these SIII's with the MOA reticle for a backup scope.

Those of you that love them, what makes you feel that way? Do you feel they are a heavy duty scope? Have you ever needed warranty work?

Thanks in advance,