Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New shooter ? about sunshades for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

New shooter ? about sunshades for hunting

My question is, are they worth the hassle for hunting? Most of the shooting I do is either early morning or late evening since that is when I see the majority of game, and I know this is a subjective topic but I was wanting to know what you guys think. I never seem to even take the sunshade anywhere.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New shooter ? about sunshades for hunting

Boy! Was that ever a dumb answer....LOL

Last edited by Sully2; 07-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
At the minimum get polarized glass. And the first time you get snapped in the eyeball in underbrush and arent wearing....I bet you'll give $500 for a pair...
What??????
Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
At the minimum get polarized glass. And the first time you get snapped in the eyeball in underbrush and arent wearing....I bet you'll give $500 for a pair...
Hey Sully, I'm pretty sure he's talkin about the sunshade for his scope, not sunglasses. LOL

And to answer the question, it's all personal preference. Some scopes don't need them with ultra-high quality glass and lens coatings. For example, my cheap scopes need them, but my Zeiss and Kahles scopes do not, because of superior lens coatings and polarization to keep glare, refraction, and eclipsing to a minimum.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

I try not to leave mine on my scope. If I know I am going to do something that will have me pointed close to the sun I bring it along and mount it when I get there. My steel targets are set up in a direction that is great in the morning, but close to the sun on summer evenings. Usually in a hunting scenario the last place you want to be is with the sun in your face and the prey in the shade, but it is not 100% avoidable.

My main concern is that a 6" long extension is a pretty good lever arm to torque on the scope with if you get it snagged.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 1 View Post
My question is, are they worth the hassle for hunting? Most of the shooting I do is either early morning or late evening since that is when I see the majority of game, and I know this is a subjective topic but I was wanting to know what you guys think. I never seem to even take the sunshade anywhere.

Well...if I can fall back and punt...( geeze)...I have them but only ever use them on varmint rifles when I may be out in bright sunlight. Ya never need any early or late because you wont get any mirage at those times of day...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey Sully, I'm pretty sure he's talkin about the sunshade for his scope, not sunglasses. LOL
Ya think maybe?.....lol