Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New scope tracking problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Re: New scope tracking problems

The fact of the matter is more animals are killed per year with bubble wrapped scopes than higher end scopes. Most individuals on these forums are a bit more cautious about there purchases. That still doesn't change the fact that many 29.99 Tascos kill many deer.

I'm pretty sure once you get your scope to hold zero, it will hold well.

In the meantime, start saving your pennies so you can purchase something in the future that will give you full confidence. Confidence that if you were going to Alaska on a dream hunt, what you have for a rifle scope combination will withstand the flights and rugged weather and hunting.

Have Fun

Rob
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

I'm pretty new to this stuff so I could be wrong, but could it be everything is functioning as should be?

If its shooting 1" groups, and he moves it over 1" isn't it possible the second shot would hit in the same spot because it has moved within the margin of error?

Only advice I would give is to shoot a box with your scope (shoot it, move down four inches, shoot it, move right four inches, shoot it, move up four inches, shoot it, move left four inches and shoot). Should tell if how well your scope tracks.

Other than that I would recommend against chasing individual shots and instead shooting 3 shot or so groups and then making adjustments based on the grouping.

Again, I'm new at this and can be wrong on all counts.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM

Hey guys thanks for all your input. I'm going to stick with the mil-dot set up on this rifle but will change the scope when I can afford to. In the mean time I'll head back to the range and try to get it zeroed properly. I feel comfortable using the dots for W&E as long wind is not blowing too hard past 200 yards. I don't have any confidence in dialing up with this scope, obviously.

I used Norma's ballistic program to set up a W&E chart for the load I plan to hunt with (100g Barnes TSX @ 3550fps). I converted inches to MOA, clicks, and Mills on the chart out to 500yds. I just need to confirm them at the range. The BSA scope had the mil-dots calibrated for the 10x setting.

I've been reading up on how to use the dots and practacing on the mildot.com webpage. It has a cool program where you have to estimate the range of targets using mills as well as estimating wind values. The free version has ten stations, and I'm considering buying the full version for $50 bucks. If you get bored you may want to check it out, it's pretty challenging with the .50 cal out past 1500yds.

I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster on my 30-06 and I like it alot. I was wondering if any of you have experience with their 4-16x40 mil-dot scope. It's priced at $289, or would you have any recomendations for a MD scope in the 200-300 price range.

Thanks agian,

Dave.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalbo View Post
Hey guys thanks for all your input. I'm going to stick with the mil-dot set up on this rifle but will change the scope when I can afford to. In the mean time I'll head back to the range and try to get it zeroed properly. I feel comfortable using the dots for W&E as long wind is not blowing too hard past 200 yards. I don't have any confidence in dialing up with this scope, obviously.

I used Norma's ballistic program to set up a W&E chart for the load I plan to hunt with (100g Barnes TSX @ 3550fps). I converted inches to MOA, clicks, and Mills on the chart out to 500yds. I just need to confirm them at the range. The BSA scope had the mil-dots calibrated for the 10x setting.

I've been reading up on how to use the dots and practacing on the mildot.com webpage. It has a cool program where you have to estimate the range of targets using mills as well as estimating wind values. The free version has ten stations, and I'm considering buying the full version for $50 bucks. If you get bored you may want to check it out, it's pretty challenging with the .50 cal out past 1500yds.

I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster on my 30-06 and I like it alot. I was wondering if any of you have experience with their 4-16x40 mil-dot scope. It's priced at $289, or would you have any recomendations for a MD scope in the 200-300 price range.

Thanks agian,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

That has proven to be a popular scope and we have one left in stock for $269 shipped. I wouldn't trust a BSA for any shot more than 200 yards on game, but that's just me.

The Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 mildot is $150 but it has a AO and is quite big for a 1-inch tube. However, it is a huge upgrade over the BSA.

Let me know if we can be of assistance.

Scott
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

I feel both of Scott"s choices are stellar in performance in comparison to the BSA. Either scope would be money well spent. I've spent quite a bit of time with Vortex line of scopes and have been very impressed.

Have Fun

Rob
Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Writers Guild

Consider used for the best value for your limited funds. A used Bushnell Scopechief circa the 80's were made in Japan, have superb optics and track well. I bet you can find them at a gun show for $50 for a fixed 4X or 6X. I would shy away from the variables as they were still sorting out the mag change POI thing.

Bausch&Lomb Balvars are even better but you might have to dig deep for an extra $50 to 100. Again fixed powers unless it is an Elite 4000. These I have used and know work great.

Of course, there are VXIII/M8 Leupolds. A fixed 6X would like be in the $200ish range used. A great scope.

For new, the Burris Fullfield seems to do very well for MANY owners. Ebay should be under $200 new. Nikon Buckmasters and Elite 3200's are superb buys for a few dollars more.

A scope you don't trust or doesn't hold zero is the most expensive scope you can buy.

There are so many alternatives for your money that it doesn't pay to penny pinch.

Jerry