Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New scope tracking problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM

New scope tracking problems

Hey there I'm new to this site and long range shooting. I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby Mag for $389. I know the old addage, "you get what you pay for", but I mounted an inexpensive BSA 4-16x40 mil-dot scope on it. My reasoning being as a college student working as an intern at the AZ Game and Fish Dept. I don't make a bunch of money. Also I did not want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars on a mil-dot scope and find out I didn't like it.

I took it to the range yesterday and the gun shot great, ave group size was just under an inch at 100 yds. The problem was the scope would not track properly when I adjusted my windage and elevation (1/8 clicks). My first group was 1" left of POA(point of aim), I adjusted 8 clicks right and it shot into the same spot. I added another 8 clicks right and it shot 2" right of POA. I repeated this process a few more times but could not get my shots to settle on target before the range closed.

Once I got home I backed off the set screws from the turrets and set them to the zero positions and retightened the screws. From there I adjusted the windage and elevation 1moa at a time. Up and right to 5moa then down and left 5moa. I did this in the hopes that the internals would loosen up, and would not stick anymore. I still need to head back to the range and determine if this helped at all. Have any of you had similar problems or had any luck getting a scope to become "unsticky"? I hope to get this sorted out before my Kaibab deer hunt in October.

Thanks for your help,

Dave
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Re: New scope tracking problems

only advise I have is this, say you wanna go 1MOA then move it 2 MOA then back 1, I do this with all my turret scopes, helps even the spring tension.
RR
Old 09-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

I have had several BSA scopes, all junk. One more thing to try - run the adjustments back and forth until they stop each direction. Then re-set to where you started. It sounds to me as though the erector tube springs are not functioning as they should. If this does not work, throw it away and buy a better scope.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

Try giving the scope tube a firmish tap with something after adjusting but before shooting
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

The Vanguards are made by Howa and Howa makes good solid rifles. Probably the best value for the dollar out there. As for the scope, I once had a cheap Bushnell on my 7mm Rem Mag and it wasn't too long before my shots were all over the place. Got a good Weaver and that fixed the problem. IMHO cheap scopes are not worth one cent. It would be better to go with iron sights and save for a descent scope. I know that doesn't help your immediate situation but maybe someone here can help you get through this hunting season... or, maybe you could return it and find a good used scope. EBay is a good place to look for good used scopes and you might find one in this forum.

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

MontanaRifleman said it best with the suggestion that the seller stand behind the scope.

Talk with him but be cautious. He'll take advantage of every/any opportunity to make a $.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Try doing what the others have said, over adjust -then back, tap the knobs after adjusting. Heck, John Burns does both to his Leupold in the video I have from him. Basically what it boils down to is the erector system isn't moving like it should when you make an adjustment. That happens with cheap scopes and it isn't the end of the world if that is all you have. What you should do, if you can't fork out the money for a better quality scope, is once you get it sighted use the mil reticle. If you don't know how to use a mil reticle don't sweat it. The dots will be "on" at different ranges with different power settings...just make sure the scope holds zero, and through the entire power range...you need to go out and shoot it to find out where its hitting. Or, get a target with inch increments and set it up at 100yards. Change the power ring and note how many inches apart the dots are, or you can do it in moa, or you can find where your the correct power setting for the scope to mil properly. The point is don't sweat over having a cheap scope, just learn to use what'cha got.