Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Scope Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Scope Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
You seem to have your terms backwards. FFP grows and shrinks the reticle with the
power setting. Much easier to range with.
I might. Just graduated from iron sights about a year ago.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Dave...

I didn't buy the .338 Savage for close in stuff (though I did take a doe at 265) in extended season on the property with it. My long term intent was New Mexico and mule deer. 265 is a no brainier, point and shoot. No drop no wind problem, nothing. Reminded me of target pistol shooting with a recoil.

Again, in my perspective, it's not a conveniently transportable firearm in the sense that I'd carry it all day without a tube of Ben-Gay for the evening...

I weighed the Vortex 4.5 on my postal scale and it says it weighs 22 ounces, 1pound 6. Add that to the rifle and it's getting seriously heavy.

It appears to me that all the what's termed 'tactical' scopes are heavy. I dislike that term. Sounds LEO like.

I guess those terms are about the public perception of what something is.

I own a couple AK's and invariably, every time someone sees one (I carry one in my farm tractor cab in the summer), it's instant sight recognition perpetuated by the firearm being splashed on the front page every time some degenerate holds up a liquor store, or a militant a'hole shoots up something.

In actuality, an AK is a very reliable fairly accurate firearm (considering the short barrel length and gas op action) plus the ability to shoot steel cased ammunition that's cheap is a plus. Great varmint gun and the design allows shooting from any position including from your hip if need be.

Going to have to contact Len about a lightweight rifle I guess. I'm having no luck finding the Savage 111 Lightweight Hunter in WSM. None to be found around these parts at least.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Flip car, if you have a SFP scope you will only be able to range at one power. most of the time it will be the highest power setting.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Hey Guys,

Back withya. Thanks for your replys. If I go with the PST how much of an improvement in glass if any will i see over the LightseekerXL? Does anybody on here like or dislike Pentax? Just trying not to pay twice as much for little or no improvement. Low light situations are tough with my current scope and reducing power for more light isnt any help. Eyes aren't as sharp and get tired quicker these days just trying to help'em out. I Like the retical and the options on PST but you gotta see it to shoot it. Weight isnt a big concern cause I dont do a bunch of hiking up and down mountains here in FL like some of you guys out west. Hadn't made up my mind on FFP or SFP yet but considering the FFP cause its a little less math to do on the fly (IMO).
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Flip car, if you have a SFP scope you will only be able to range at one power. most of the time it will be the highest power setting.
Went and dug out the manual and you are right...of course with a caveat....

You can range at any magnification up to and including the highest magnification, you just exponentially increase the MOA or Radian Clicks to compensate for the less than highest magnification. No biggie so long as you keep the multiplier in mind.

Having said that, I got low grades in Geometry and Calculus. Spent most of my class time looking up the teachers skirt...... (it was worth the view)

The highest magnification (in my case), 14x is a direct one to one on range in correlation with MOA clicks on the elevation turret, again no biggie because the magnification values direct split the range differentials.

FFP scopes direct range at all levels with a caveat again and that is the growth of the reticle lines in relationship to the viewed image (or so I'm told). I'll have to experience that first hand and I will, at some point.

Forgot to add...

One reason I bought the Viper PST was the magnification ring has rearward facing multiplier numbers on each magnification click stop so it's a matter of looking at the number and multiplying MOA clicks by that number, unlike my Leupy's than just have magnification numbers.

I need all the help I can get. Shouldn't been looking up the teachers skirt and paying more attention to the lesson.....

Still need to get it sighted in. I'm working too much lately.

Being a bouncer at a gentlemans club is a great job I might add. Lots of fringes......

Last edited by SidecarFlip; 01-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdt270
Hey Guys,

Back withya. Thanks for your replys. If I go with the PST how much of an improvement in glass if any will i see over the LightseekerXL? Does anybody on here like or dislike Pentax? Just trying not to pay twice as much for little or no improvement. Low light situations are tough with my current scope and reducing power for more light isnt any help. Eyes aren't as sharp and get tired quicker these days just trying to help'em out. I Like the retical and the options on PST but you gotta see it to shoot it...
Yep, your thread got hijacked. See another thread for more info on optical quality: Hawke Sidewinder Vs Vortex Viper vs Falcon Menace??

I'm not a fan of any of the scopes you mentioned - they're all below average in optical performance for their price point. I would put Pentax at the bottom, followed by Sightron and Vortex PST (about the same).

There are better options out there for optical performance, however.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Bruce...

A bit of an interjection on my part...

It appears to me that 'optical clarity' is mostly of the opinion of the purchaser despite factual evidence. That. coupled with the vast array of brands and styles makes navigating the optics jungle complicated.

It's almost like a motor oil discussion. Numerous brands, all claiming to do a better job but in the end, oil selection is a personal preference, not usually based on factual evidence but personal choice and 'assumed' performance.

if I put the Viper and one of my Leuppolds on the table side by side and compare, outwardly, they look similar, so the biggest discernable difference is the price point..... and most of us predicate purchases on price versus performance.

Something to think about....