Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Scope Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 PM

New Scope Help!!!!

Hey Guys,

Still saving for my new scope. Was looking to replace my Pentax Lightseeker XL 3x9x40 with a Viper PST. But the more I read on here the more confused I get. Seems that some of you guys are favoring the Sightron Glass over the PST. I like the features (bells and whistles) that the pst line offers but would appreciate the better glass more. My questions are:

1) Is the Sigtron SIII Glass that much better than the PST ?
2) How much better are either compared to the Pentax ?
3) Since must of my shooting/ hunting will be at 0 - 800yds(only steel and paper over 400yds) would I be better with the 4 x 16 or is the 6 x 25 to much at these ranges?

Sorry for all the questions at once but dont get to set down at the computer much right now. Really enjoy and appreciate yalls input and experince on these topics.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Scope Help!!!!

I feel your pain! I'm also looking at the Vortex 6x24-50 pst and recently started looking at the Huskamaw 5x20-50 Blue Diamond. $899 vs $1349!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Well, me being a devout Leupold person and reading all the various blather here and elsewhere, I went and bought a Vortex 4-16x50 SFP MilDot.

The optics jungle is loaded with fantasy and opinions so I decided to deviate a bit.......

I will say the scope is heavy. It just came this afternoon from Optics Planet. Was going to go with SWFA but OP had free shipping. Pricing is stagnant across the board so free shipping made the deal breaker....and it came with the sunshade (like SWFA touts on their site but OP don't plus a nice lens cleaning cloth (I use a Lens-pen anyway) and a scope bikini to cover the ends (I prefer flip up caps but it was boxed with so I'll use it until the elastic cords break and then flip covers go on.....

Got a free Vortex logo'd hat to. Realtree Camo, would have preferred Hunter Orange but free is free.

Peering down the tube in the kitchen (looking out into the woods outback), the glass appears as clear as any Leupy I have. The reticle is very sharp EBR1. I like the illuminated cross lines in red, subtle red that is.

It's a quality made instrument in appearance. After I get the rings lapped and the optic mounted and sighted, then I'll see what it will do and won't do.

It was 500 bucls cheaper than a Leupy Mark 4 LRT.

500 bucks is a lot of brass, primers, powder and cigaretts (I prefer Marlboro reds).....

Would be nice in this day and age of inflation and devalued currency to find a viable alternative to the increasing cost of a good optic.

A Husky or a Schmidt and Bender or a top end Swaro is the price of a new (used) used ride or a new motorcycle. One has to make choices. I'm too old to walk when I can ride......

I could buy a Tasco but I might as well close my eyes and touch her off.....
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM

It seems that about the time I made up my mind on the scope, I started seeing all these posts. And if I come into more money than what I'm able to save up between now and time to buy, Huskemaw is definately on the short list. Havn't heard anything but good about them. My problem is no one within several hundred miles of me carries any of these that I know of anyhow. It would be nice to be able to look through them. Although I did get to look through a $3200 Premeir Reticle about two weeks ago Havn't fully recovered yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

RDT... Go peer through a S&B and think Rolex. Better yet, think payment book.

It's economy of scale with me.

Just how many times does one need that ultimate pristine, over the top glass?

Maybe once, possibly Twice?

I'd like to be Donald Trump too.... Well maybe have his money.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Never seen a S&B in real life thank there just a myth around these parts. Although I did try on a Presidential Rolex back when i was about 25. Should have seen the guys face when i asked to see it. And when I took it off and handed it back to him seemed like he spent 10 minutes wiping the thing down. Made me fill dirty. But it was fun. Besides my arm got tired trying to hold it up and look at it (top heavy like those big scopes).
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdt270 View Post
It seems that about the time I made up my mind on the scope, I started seeing all these posts. And if I come into more money than what I'm able to save up between now and time to buy, Huskemaw is definately on the short list. Havn't heard anything but good about them. My problem is no one within several hundred miles of me carries any of these that I know of anyhow. It would be nice to be able to look through them. Although I did get to look through a $3200 Premeir Reticle about two weeks ago Havn't fully recovered yet.
I was going to buy a Huskemaw, but went with a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with Illuminated reticle and had Vortex make a Custom Turret for an extra $100. The PST was $899.95. ---------------------------

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

gt40

PS: SidecarFlip I'd like to have Donald's money & hair.