Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

new scope doesnt line up with action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

new scope doesnt line up with action

I mounted a vortex scope to my rifle. Centered up the windage. Bore sighted. Adjusted the Leopold rear mount screws to center windage. Afterwards I noticed the rear ring is about 1/8" left of center to the base. I spent half an hour counting clicks on the scope to verify scope was centered. When I shotit the rear ring needed moved over another turn more. I think the scope is screwed up. Is there some way the aadjustment cap is limiting adjustment? Should I send the scope in?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new scope doesnt line up with action

Why not center the scope up first, then adjust your crosshairs for bore-sighting, and reset your turrets to 0...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

I could......but there would be almost no adjustment on one side and a ton on the other. I guess the question is this normal?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You're assuming that the mechanical zero is the same as the optical zero, and it may not be.

You found the mechanical zero by counting clicks from one limit to the other, and then setting the turret to half that value.

The optical zero can be found on a mounted scope by 1) placing a small mirror flat against the objective, 2) looking through the eyepiece, 3) rotating the turrets until the reticle and its reflected image lie on top of each other. I helps to let a little light creep into the objective (cover the objective only about 95% with the mirror). This process takes a little practice to do well.

If the reticle and the reflection are both visible, then instead of dialing the turret you can measure the angular separation between them using the reticle. Then divide that measured value by 2 to get the angular offset from optical zero. This way you don't have to rotate the turrets away from the zero you just established.

If the rings were separated by 4", then 1/8" of adjustment would correspond to 107 MOA of windage. I doubt that your Vortex scope has enough true windage adjustment to account for all the windage offset that you've dialed in on the base. It sounds to me like your barrel is not installed straight. Is this a production rifle? If so what model?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

This is a Winchester m70. Factory barrel.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
This is a Winchester m70. Factory barrel.

Are your holes for the bases tapped square on your action? Having holes tapped offset is not an uncommon problem on some actions. There is a couple of solutions if your holes are not tapped sguare with your bore but it can become frustrsating.

I would bet it is not a scope problem. Switch scopes out if you can and if your having the same problem you more than likely need to look elsewhere for the problem. I have seen offset holes more than once but usually on the 700 rem actions.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

I had the same thing with a Mod. 70 Coyote Lite ( circa 2005 tje year they closed the New Haven plant) Those holes were so far off center you could see it. Then the spacing was for a WSSM.

Last edited by Gary Kaney; 10-08-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling