Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttt View Post
You can buy this same scope for 279.00 over on Camera Land .... they are on sale. It is a damn fine scope and you can't go wrong with a Viper. It's the best scope for the buck and has been for years.

You can get a 6.5 - 20 x 50 for 470.00 or so.

the scope you are refering to at camera land is the vplex scope that is 279.

the above scope is the bdc version that runs 429.

but you are correct they are the best bang for your buck on the market in that price range
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

Being Canadian, buying a scope in the US is not worth the hassle. Camerland will not even bother selling me one as it is such a headache. Thanks for the input though.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttt View Post
You can buy this same scope for 279.00 over on Camera Land .... they are on sale. It is a damn fine scope and you can't go wrong with a Viper. It's the best scope for the buck and has been for years.

You can get a 6.5 - 20 x 50 for 470.00 or so.
You can not get this scope for 279$ The scope that was 279 was the v-plex reticle just the a regular x and they are sold out at least till the end of the month. And I am including the rings vortex/seekins, the vortex caps, and scope shade with shipping which is sinificantly cheaper than just the scope. Doesnt sound like he is interested but still thought I would set the facts straight
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Being as I am new to long range hunting I want to practice enough this year to be comfortable to 600yards. I will worry about stretching out further next year and beyond.I have owned my STW for years but have never actually practiced enough to feel comfortable at long range. The range I have gone to in years past was only out to 300 yards so that Is what I practiced to the new range goes out to 1000 yards. Does that help? My STW goes moose hunting also and shots generally are less than 50 yards so with 6 power being on the low end I do not think it would be optimal which is why I have steered towards 4-16 power
You are really stretching the limits of what you can buy for what you are asking. For instance, shooting moose at 50 yards requires low magnification (3X or less) to get a good picture of anything other than a patch of brown fur. For the shot at 1000 yards you need moderate magnification to see what you are shooting at. Also, to reach 1000 yards you need a mount with some cant to allow you to get a lot of travel in most scopes.

Depending on how good your eyes are you will need over 12X to do well at 1000 yards. A lot of great shots with great eyes can use 10X to hit a target at 1000 yards but I don't fit into that category. I need something around 20X. Having said that, there are scopes with a "large erector ratio" that can span the 3X - 18X range but they are not cheap. For instance, Swarovski makes a 3-18X50 that would span that range but they lack total travel and they cost a lot more than you are interested in spending. However, I would highly recommend that if you are looking for moose in the woods at less than 50 yards you really need a small magnification at the low end. Then the amount you are ready to spend might limit your high end magnification but you might also have good eyes. I would even lean toward a 2X or less for that short range shot.

Having said that, there are scopes like Minox 3-15X50 that you can get from some of the shops on this list like Camera Land. I recommend the scope have "side focus" which is really parallax adjustment when you are shooting both short range and long range. This Minox does:

Minox - Camera Land NY

I have the Minox 4-20X50 and like the optics a lot. However, 4X is a bit much for shooting shorter than 50 yards. I also have the Swarovski 3-18X50 Z6i and it is an outstanding scope but it will cost about 3 times the cost of the Minox. I also have a Swarovski 3.5-18X42 Z5 that is almost as good but not the same light for light gathering.

Again, shooting less than 50 yards requires low magnification for quick target acquisition. If you are shooting in very low light you will need illumination - but if you are not shooting at dusk or dawn you will not need the illumination. Illumination also adds to the cost (for instance, the cost of a Swarovski 3-18X50 Z6i with illumination is around $3000 whereas the Z6 without illumination is arround $2300). The Minox runs around $500.

Let us know how you fit this fits into your view of your needs or to get our view of specific scopes.

Last edited by lightwind; 05-09-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Note on cameraland is not saying buy there but to show the scope.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

So if you can't buy in the US where can you buy ? I like the Bushnell elite 6500 2.5x16x50mm its in that price range. No its not a Ziess or a Swarvoskie but I can hit tin cans with my 7 mm WSM if I have a spotter.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the info guy's. Going to have to review my budget on this. The paperwork and time involved in bring scopes / gun parts across the US / Canada border is ridiculous. I can by whatever as long as I buy it in Canada.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Keep us informed. I know what you mean about hassels trying to get anything approved by any government. You should try to buy a suppressor here in the US. You have to buy it, fill out forms and send them in after it shows up. But you can't remove it from the FFL dealer you bought it from until the ATF sends a tax stamp back about 7 months later. Even getting one in now takes about 2 months from the manufacturer. So it is about 9 months from the time you order on until you can put it on your weapon.

I am very curious as to who you find in Canada that carries these scopes we have been recommending. You are not the only person from Canada who has asked about scopes. You can give us an idea of where to point them in the future.

It is too bad you can't get scopes from US companies because they have sales on outdated merchandise that I have found to be very good deals.

Thanks for giving us a chance to chime in with our view of scopes.