Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 PM

New Scope

Does anyone know where I can find a good scope with BDC cams for a 300 RUM.
I plan on going for Elk in Colorado next season and want to get a jump on the optics.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

You can go with a specific scope mfg that offers one with the data you provide or get an aftermarket model to fit some scope makes.

However, IMO I don't believe in them because they are only good for a specific load, altitude, baro, temp, humidity and velocity.

With a Kestrel and a pocket PC loaded with a good ballistic program, where ever you go and what ever your load/conditions you have very accurate data. Besides, you can compute ALL of your guns with it.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks I never even thought of that...........
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafferq2xl View Post
However, IMO I don't believe in them because they are only good for a specific load, altitude, baro, temp, humidity and velocity.
"... I don't believe in them"

Is that like not believing in the Easter Bunny?... as in it doesn't exist?

Or is it that you haven't figured out how to use them and make them work for you.

I "believe" in them - I have three MK4-M3s and one M3-long range.

They are extremely fast, and for game that only gives you a fleeting moment to range and shoot, there is nothing like them.

I recently put together a long range .264 WM rig for feral dogs, and on it there is a MK4-M3... 5 to 7 seconds from seeing the dog to firing the rifle.

They work very well if you know how to use them, and how to make them work for you.

Leupold will make custom "cams" for any cartridge, or your own supplied numbers.

LRH member #23

Last edited by CatShooter; 11-08-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Mine is on the FFP. I like it alot. I have shot 120 maybe 150 rds thru it and for a hunting scope I feel it can't be beat. I would think in the future I would buy a higher power fine cross hair scope just for load development and then put a scope like the IOR on the rifle. I have been shooting and ranging with it all distances out to 500 ( a long way for me) and it works great. I have a target stand that is 60" overall tall with a 36" X 36" board I fasten the targets to. Withthese dimensions I thought it would be easy to teach myself a little about the mil-dot system. Maybe their hunting scopes are on the 2ndFP thie one I have is a tactical model and it is definitely FFP