Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

I own a 4-16X50 4200 and the clicks are not repeatable.. it will dial in once but return to zero is non existant....Looking else where for my next scope...
Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

leupold all the way. I don't shoot anything but leupold and have had no problems and there is a 100% replacement no questions asked lifetime guarentee. I love all the scopes that I own. Depending on what i'm doing I tend to like the 4-14 the best. I like to go bigger if I am shooting varmints at longer ranges but the 4-14 does everything for big game, in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Burris XTR 3 - 12 x 50

I should have added more details. . .

Lenses - Very clear and bright. In side by side evaluations in between Leupold, Burris, and Sightron S3, the Burris was easily the truest color, brightest and clearest. I can see bullet holes clearly at 100 yards.(308)

Turrets - Very strong looking. I've never tried to break them. Easy to turn. Maybe too easy. If you move them 1 MOA, they move 1 MOA. All shots were within .75" of expected location. Rifle shoots .5 - .75" groups at 100 yards. Shot several box tests. All returned to 0. Turrets are 1/4", I think, but I treat like 1/4 MOA and that seems ok. Also, one can get a turret on the windage which shows L and R movement. That is nice to be able to easily put in 1.5MOA L or R. The elevation turret can be 0 - 16MOA. This is the way mine is set up. They sent me a whole windage turret because I had a stripped set screw from Burris.

Power Selector - Kind of a PITA with scope caps because the scope caps hook to the focus adjustor and the whole ocular lens tube turns, so until this process is refined, it is possible to un focus the scope or have the lens cover interfer with the action. For me there was a magic spot for the scope caps to be put on so it wouldn't interfer. Then I just had to teach myself to grab the scope and not the cap!

Reticle - Should be FFP, but it is not. Still, SFP has advantages, like being able to range at 1/2 power. Mil dots are calibrated to a dot on the power selector.

Weight - It is heavy, but all big scopes are. Light scopes just don't have the turrets or glass. I guess it is supposed to be a little thicker tube also.

Warranty - Well, they fixed it all up. I bought this sight unseen. It had a buggered paralax adjustment. They fixed and paid shipping. Then it had some junk in the tube. They paid and fixed. Then the allen screw turret deal. They sent me the part since it was basic user functionality. Actually, if I remember they sent me two complete turrets. Way overboard! So. . .should I have had 3 repairs. . .No. . .but they fixed with no issues. I am picky also!! I consider it perfect for my hunting rifle now.

Turret caps - It has these, but I don't let them leave the truck. I didn't check my elevation turret before I shot at 200 yards. It was supposed to be on 2.25 MOA. It somehow moved to 6. Not sure why, but I wasn't happy. I hit the Antelope. I blame the scope for being too easy to turn and more myself for not checking. Should be part of my shooting process. I just got buck fever!! I could use the caps too.

Finish - Nice matte green. Looks good with my green/SS/Laminate rig.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

I have heard that if you go past 14power then you have to be very aware of the parallax adjustment.
So should I stay away from a scope that has a parallax adjustment?
On my .300 right now I have a 3 x 9 x 50mm Leupold VXll, and I really like it, nd it does not have a parallax adjustment on this scope.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Bronze Member

Higher power shooting at closer ranges means parallax is more likely to give you trouble. You can just set it to 150 yards and forget it. That is what most non-adjustable scopes are set at. The best way is to adjust just before you shoot. For hunting, I carry with parallax setup for 200. and elevation set for 250yds. If I need to shoot further, I expect to have enough time to setup the shot.