Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Scope?

I was looking at the 4.5-14x50LR VX3 matte with a B&C reticle yesterday for a friend. Most every place has them listed at $689, Bruno's shooters supply was the only place lower... $584 I think. Amy said they won't have them until end of April, first part of May, most places are also waiting on them too.

Turrets on the VX3 Long Range model are re-zeroed differently than the other VX3 models, in that they lift up to align to zero then snap back down to lock in for actual turret adjustment. The other models have a ring below the turret that rotates around with a notch that aligns with the zero point on the turret, kind of the same as the Vari-X3 model is but placed below the turret assembly.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Scope?

I'm in Australia and new to this website and to longrang hunting. I have been a gunnut and hunting enthusiast for 30 + years. Ever since I got serious about quality equipment I have had Leupolds in various models but all variables. I have just put a 4-12X 40 on my pre64 M70 fwt in 308Win. I'm going to get another to put on a pre64 M70 fwt 270Win I have coming from the States and I will put a LPS 3.5-14X 50 on my custom classiC M98 308 Norma Magnum for long range hunting.

All these will replace 2-7 variables which will be relocated to a rimfire and a 375 Chatfield-Taylor on a Ruger M77.

All my existing Leupolds were purchesed over 20 years ago and have performed faultlessly over that time. Here Leupolds are the standard though there are top quality European scopes (for a lot more money) that are appearing with rangefinding abilities. But for my money Leupold are the standard and if you want a range finder (a necessity for long range work) then buy one (there are plent to choose from) and leave the scope on you pet longrange rifle to do what it was meant to do.

I read in a "Rifle Shooter" magazine a while ago where Craig Boddington (in an article about long range hunting) took a fancy range finding scope from a prominent manufacturer off his 8MM Rem Mag because of difficulties with it and put on a Leupold in its place. This guy knows his business.

Good hunting,
Magnum