Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

new rifle and scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: new rifle and scope

Nighthawk,

I'm gonna show my ass a bit here,, and let ya in on my personal expierence.

I started shooting 1K with a 308win, Leupold M3LR,, all factory stuff, nothing real fancy but nice. I do alright with it, but wind kicks my ass and so do the other shooters with high dollar rigs and higher BC bullets. So I went to a smith built 6.5x284 with a Nightforce to be more competitive.

Now,, that I have a couple winning matches behind me, I still don't feel the satisfaction I thought I would because it kinda feels like I bought my way in and didn't earn it.

We have a guy at the range, Gene "the man" Graham, who shoots a bone stock Savage 110TAC in 308 with a tasco 10X SS scope who usually shoots in the high 190's with an X count in the 8 to 10 range. I can't beat him with a 308 and have a hard time with a 6.5x284. He's a better shooter than I am, and knows his **** but refuses to spend the money needed to beat the high dollar rigs.

What's that have to do with your question? I guess not much, but having the better equipment doesn't make me a better shoter. It makes me lazy, and ultimatly hurts me as a competitor.

If you got the cash to build these sticks, great,, do it and have fun with them,, but don't think that buying your way to the top is gonna make you a better shooter.

FatBoy...

PS. 1000 to 1500 yards is NOT medium distance. That's a long ass way mang,, no matter what you're shooting.

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]
Old 09-15-2002, 08:13 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Jeeze when I was 18.. I was happy with a hand me down 30-06.... That i tweeked on my own cause I couldn't afford the fees of a gunsmith. I remember buming brass off my dads friends for reloading ... Buying one box of primers was expensive for me .. and a box of bullets well... that was a major purchase!!!

I am on 35 now and have made some money but $5000 for a rig at 18..... slow down kid...

If you want a Tactical rifle to start, Look NO FURTHER than a 308 PSS or a 308 Sendero.... after you shoot 2000 rounds and begin to know your $hit.. then spend some money ..... Unless you understand reloading the exotics are not fun to reload for.... and big cases mean big money spent on powder and those barrels burners will cost you another barrel before you really understand the cal.....
It is OK to dream but when your alarm goes off.. make sure your not in over your head.... This forum is hear to help .. PLease read these responses and do not be offended.. There are years and years of experience talking here ( not necessarily me ) it would be wise to take the advice....

Does your father hunt or shoot ????
Old 09-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

I think you guys should forget everything I say because I don't know if I will be able to get onto this site anymore unless I can get on at school. The only computer that has the internes on it is at my dad's house (my parents are divorced) and my dad just had a massive heart attack, then he found out he had diabeties, then a stroke, then because of the stroke which was preventing him from breathing he had to have brain surgery to remove the portion of the brain that was killed by the stroke. Now I discover that because of the damage caused by the heart attack he has a hole in his heart that they can't do a fricken thing about. Due to the blood loss his kidneys are shutting down. From what I heard so far he has about a 99% chance of not making it out of the hospital. I believe it would take a miracle. These rifles that I speak of wouldn't happen for at least a year and I'm aware of the cost. I just ask about them now so I'm not trying to figure this all out later. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Best of luck to your father. A prayer for him tonight. There are far more important things than shooting, so be vigilant and let him know how you feel.

God's speed man.

FatBoy...
Old 09-16-2002, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Dear Nighthawk

first : best luck to your father and to your family .

second : as I have say :

to shoot 1000 yards no need of $$$$$ rifles , most shooters on this forum use very commun rifle with commun optic in very popular caliber .

start shooting with 1000 yards as first range is bit silly , best is to start on shorter range 300/600 , learn a lot ( wind , shooting position , reload , sighting , trigger control , recoil .... ) and go to the 1000 yards even if you can try yourself at 1000 yards and more just for fun .

last point : shooters are on this forum to share informations and answer to the questions of the other , you are always welcome but please go step by step and you are more a beginer than an expert so keep cool and use simple and easy way to reach your goal .

Nothing again you , but it is worth to have a dream broken so try to do that you are able to do rather to finish very dispointed and sad because in yearsss you will not sucess to get your $$$$$$$$$ rifles and that during this time you have make nothing except wait the rifle of your dream and shoot nothing .
There is no shame to start to shoot with a low cost entry price rifle as SAVAGE or REMINGTON even used and improve your equipement with the time and the money income ( remenber that a simple barrel in 408 cost more than a complete Savage tactical in 300 WIN MAG ) , but as I say in previous post a $$$$$ rifle not give you tight group at 1000 and more just because you are able to pay this rifle .

Good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 09-16-2002, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

Nice dreem gun, and I hope your Dad is doing well. I'm a new commer to this sport. I'm starting out with a 270 winchester short mag. I know it's a light cal. BUT I hunt also and wanted a flat shooter. Ground hogs!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It still gets out there to 1000 yards with athority. Last time I shot I got 1 In the Xed out circle and one in the 10 ring. The others were all over the place one even went off paper imagen that!!!Hopfuly next time I'll have all ten on paper. Haven FUN is part of the game. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys but dad died this morning. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]