Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

new rifle and scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

new rifle and scope

I have a couple of questions on a new rifle and scope. Most of you know I plan to build a .408 and a .30-378 (changed to a 7.82 Warbird) but I was also thinking of having a rifle for a little shorter diestance. For shooting out to maybe 1000-1500 yards with a 7.82 Patriot, would you get a 2.6-12.2X or a 3.2-16X SN-3? Also for that distance what legnth barrel, 26 or 28 for use with a 190 grain J40? The last thing is, what zize objective and main tube do you guys think I should have? Rember I'm new to longer range shooting that you guys do so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Thank You
Old 09-14-2002, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: new rifle and scope

A few weeks ago, you told DANTEC that you had a 30-378, and were getting one hole groups out of it... now you say that you are planing to build one???

Just what rifles do you really own RIGHT NOW?

CS

LRH member #23
Old 09-14-2002, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Maybe a Ruger 10/22 and a 30-30?? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MM
Old 09-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

dear Nighthawk

that my last post for you because you don't seem to read what you write and read the answers to the question you have post .

to begin to shoot and start to learn no need to be the owner of THE RIFLE OF THE CENTURY in the AMAZING CALIBER OF THE YEAR

you purchase a simple SAVAGE TACTICAL in 308 or in 300 WIN MAG ( factory out of the box )or a REM SENDERO in same caliber a set of leupold QRW RING , a set of tapered base and a Leupold 6.5x20 LR and enought ammo or component to load ammo to get 500 first rounds .

whit this simple and available equipement ( not in terrific caliber or amazing caliber as Lazzeroni cartridge or 408 Cheyenne or something more costly if you can find more) you can easily shoot , learn to shoot by practice and after to have burn out your first barrel at 300/600 yards you can purchase another one always for your Savage or your REM , improve the rifle and start to shoot ( really ) at 1000 yards and over

STOP TO DREAM and START TO SHOOT

for your knowledge a simple 22 rimfire shoot at 200 yards is closely the same as a 308 shoot at 1000 yards not to bad to learn .

and REMENBER that :
Never the fact to own a full race rifle will make of you the shooter of the year .
Most of the shooters on this forum shoot a lot ( without amazing calibers ) and are on this forum to learn more and share informations BUT not to explain their dream of their next future rifle plan to be built perhaps .....
Miss the target or make a group of the size of a cow with a $$$$$ costly rifle just make you RIDICULUS .

last point : it seems that the 300 ULTRA is the most popular caliber in 30 cal ( and one very good at long range ) on this forum so I don't understand why you want a 30.378 ( true over bore ) or now a Lazzeroni ( with costly Lazz brass ) if you sucess to read informations published on this forum and understand them you perhaps start to learn something .

that all

Good shooting if a day you stop to dream you can perhaps start to shoot .

DAN TEC
Old 09-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Nighthawk i noticed that all the rifles you have/are building....whatever, are long range hard hitters. I know my 338UM will reach out and touch things at a fair distance but the recoil and muzzle blast is extream. I have a JP recoil eliminator and it makes the 300gr MK out of my 17# sendero seem extreamly mild but it is still a bit to shoot for a beginner. I too am new to the long range crowd and after getting my UM set up (i really needed a elk rifle) i relized i should have started in to long range with something smaller and cheaper. I think the next project i will do will be a 6.5-06. I have an old '06 i have always wanted to rebarrel and the 6.5 would give me the BC and speed for some long range varmit shooting. I am still love my UM but i cannot wait till i scrape the $$ for my next setup.

p.s. the rifles and scopes you have listed as projects are extreamly expensive I assume you have calculated the total cost of such a rig, ie.. dies, brass, bullets, powder reloading tools....?? In just the 408 i would put the total cost of the rifle in the $4000 - $5000 range, correct me if i am wrong i would like to some day build a large custom rig and am intrested in the cost.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

dear JackRabbitSquare

the 6.5/06 is my favorite caliber / chambering for 1000/1200/1400 yards easy to shoot ( very mild recoil ) good bullets ( Lapua and Sierra ) good powder choice , rather good barrel life ( 1500 rounds ) , good case in 270 win ( RWS , Lapua or US manufacture sorted )
with barrel 30/32 inch lenght with 1 in 8 pitch there is nothing so near of the 6.5/284 in long action and so easy to shoot .

just need to trim case more often because shoulder angle is not sharp , 6.5/280 RCBS IMP design look very nice

I shoot
6.5 X
260 REM
6.5/08 AI
6.5x57
6.5x55 tight chamber
6.5/06 base 270 Win with 0.291 neck
6.5/284 Lapua brass with 0.295 neck
264 DTC PRESCOTT 0.291 neck ( 264 WIN mag with 35 shoulder setback on same body lenght as 264 Win )
6.5/300 WEA 0.295 neck , my new rifle in process just for fun and to shoot the miles .

enjoy 6.5 cal and real facts

DAN TEC
Old 09-14-2002, 09:11 PM

Catshooter, check out this post in the "Ultra Long Range hunting" section titled.

"300 Baer"

In that post Nighthawk ask if the this caliber would be better for him???

My reply was almost identical to yours!!!!!

Listen Nighthawk, I never shot past 300 yards....and I am twice your age. I'm not ashamed, I'm here to learn.
I was once 18 also! Just get something you can afford. If you really could afford all that stuff you talk about you would not be joining the military at 18YO.
Remember the story of the boy who cried wolf?

Two last things, I can afford to buy I US optics scope but I won't. It's not worth it. How many 1000yd pros use them?
Listen to what DC told you! It not a matter of money they are just not worth it for my needs. Spending the most money doesn't give you the best. (unless you own the NY Yankees)

Lastly, Go get two women and one motel room. spend the money you saved on the USO Scope! At 18 I think this is what you really need!!! ....and you already have the weapon!!!!!!!!

Happy Hunting