Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New range cheaper finders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

New range cheaper finders

I am looking at buying a cheaper range finder to go out to at least 1000 yards. I know the G7 is the best out there, but what do people think about the Leopoldo RX 1000 with TBR? Any thoughts would be very helpful......
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New range cheaper finders

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Wa Hunter View Post
I am looking at buying a cheaper range finder to go out to at least 1000 yards.
Sorry, you can't use both those words in the same sentence.

As for my opinion of the Leupold Rf's. I say save your money until you can buy a real RF. The working units that will reach 1000 yards on a regular basis start with the Leica 1200 CRF-Y. You should be able to get a used one for around $425 shipped. Or step up to a new Leica 1600 CRF for $659. and you will be set and happy with your purchase.

There is tons of great info on about any unit you wish to read about on this site. Also lots of basic info on reliability and beam divergence of any unit. Just do a little search using the box in the upper right corner of this page.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

+1 on what Broz says. Don't waste your money on a leupy---there is a leica 1200 for sale in the optics section on this forum for $375. Great deal and a great rangefinder although it does not have any ballistic stuff on it but it is dependable AND its a leica.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
+1 on what Broz says. Don't waste your money on a leupy---there is a leica 1200 for sale in the optics section on this forum for $375. Great deal and a great rangefinder although it does not have any ballistic stuff on it but it is dependable AND its a leica.

Randy
Agreed, That is a good deal but we should mention that is the older Leica 1200 before the CRF model. I have owned them and they are good units,especially for the price. I just don't feel they are as good as the newer CRF's.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM

I have never used any of the Leica gear, how does it hold up in rain fog etc. Hunting and shooting in the northwest I could see all weather types in one day. In my experience Leopold has always held up well. Any thoughts on the Swarovski?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Wa Hunter View Post
I have never used any of the Leica gear, how does it hold up in rain fog etc. Hunting and shooting in the northwest I could see all weather types in one day. In my experience Leopold has always held up well. Any thoughts on the Swarovski?
Search the Leica or Swarovski for tons of info and comparisons. As far as the Leica holding up, well we found one of the old flat models while on horse back last year. It was faded and the snow had just melted off of it to make it visible. I say it had been there two winters. We picked it up and it still was working.

Fog, rain and snow will hinder any RF's distance. The distance they will read will depend on the thickness of the precipitation. If the beam can not get htrough and return none of them will work. But I have found that a good unit will work to as far as I wish to shoot game in those conditions with limited visibility.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

My Dad has a Leupold he would sell ya real cheap.........

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member