Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Optic source

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: New Optic source

Chris, Hanging out in the Tapis bars, eh? That scope took some noodlin and perhaps a Sangria or two to inspire the design? Has a strong marketing possibility if the reticle is improved to the market. Suggest you contact the Head Wonk at Kalinka in S.C. to , pardon the pun, "see" what may be in the offing. Giving birth to a new one is rewarding. Congrats/well done [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Overbore
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 AM

I have to agree with MagMan it's hard to beat a "full" 12 month warranty and 15 day "money back" guarantee.

Are you guys nuts? The WORST scope maker out there will give you better than a 12 month warranty. I would alos wager you would NEVER have a warranty issue resolved.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

I personally would never buy from KALINKA.

I got bad vibes talking with them and decided not to. It does not mean however that their product range is poor.

I was lucky to have a friend in Moscow (he's the Russian MD of a US company there) who got me in touch with the factory (not Kalinka). The Factory documents indicate 2 years warranty.

Dealing with Russia has been a learning process. SLOW but so far VERY open and honest. And willing to listen. They realise (now?) that the West sees things differently.

Their philosophy is different. One difference is that russian optics I've seen to date can be repaired by any competant optical refurbisher - as long as you dont dismantle in the MUD and put greasy fingers on the optics - it's even HOME-MAINTAINABLE. It tends to be made to do a job rather than overdo it. Read USO's comments on Nitrogen purging!

The big thingy I clasify as R+D.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Silver Member

Chris, some of the Russian gear, like the Hind chopper is rock solid and is a role model for toughness but I have had bad reports on the sniper pages of coatings comming off the interiors of scopes and reticles moving. I have noted the CHICOMS have copied the Russian scopes and put their cheap products into e-bay distribution. Kalinka is, I believe, totally honest but in the learning curve process. My scope had zero instuctions or data with it. At what power do I range? Many thanks, Overbore
Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
My scope had zero instuctions or data with it. At what power do I range? Many thanks, Overbore

[/ QUOTE ]I'd call Kalinka if I were you. The PPO series come (leastways all mine have) with a 16 page manual. Maybe the VPOI do not!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM

I have always heard that to a Russian "more is better". In other words "10 OK jets are better than 5 really good ones. All I cna think of is a story I heard about a MIG pilto who defected to the USA after visiting Cuba.

He was asked about the capabilities of his jet and specifically its ability to reach Mach II. To which he replied "well the engines are capable of Mach II but the wings would shear off"

As for Russian optics, I don't see many Russian digital cameras at my local Best Buy.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Dont confuse SOVIET with RUSSIAN.

I recall a few (and only a few) years ago the world saying "ROMANIAN OPTICS? Yeah right!" - I doubt many would dispute that IOR are fine, now.

The Russians are way up there in astrological optics. And it's still dificult to get an export licence for alot of optics stuff. Like it is getting a Super Sniper out of the US - and that's not even American.

One thing interesting - Under IR light most cheaper Russian scopes (painted - that looks, well, cheap) are not visible at distance - Just about anything else reflects IR like you wont believe (unless you paint them - doh!). Not tried a USO but if it's anodised it'll shine like a mirror. S&B's do! - Leupies/NF the same.

Maybe I'm making a mistake - of course - but all progress involves some risk. As for digi cameras - I cant comment (it's not my field) - but maybe it's that they have poor CCDs, not poor lenses.