Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Nikon Monarchs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I got back to the range today. I had much more time to check the scope out. I had a Leupy vx3, Zeis Conquest, and a couple of Nikons. My buddy runs Swarovski. So, without preamble I asked him to check out the scope. He looked through it a few minutes, shot a couple rounds, and says, " Pretty nice glass".

After playing with the scope a while, I determined the source of my perplexity. When the scope is on max power, eye position is critical. What threw me is, rather than making a black ring if your eye is out of position, the scope loses brightness, and clarity. Put your eye back in position and the image sharpens dramaticaly.

I could only see this happen at max power. Maybe this has something to do with the new "eye box" technology? You can use this scope with your eye offset significantly at all but max power. Rather than the typical eclipse when your eye alignment is off, you get blur.

So, I am once again a happy customer. While the glass is not on par with some of my other glass, it is still a fantastic value.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

I use IOR's and Nikon exclusively. I'm done with Leupold. Nikon blows leupold away. I use IORs when I need a tactical scope and Nikon Monarchs when I just need a good scope for a non-long-range weapon.

I haven't tried the new one's yet, but the old one's rock!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM

the 2.5-10 looks great, I didn't notice the bdc reticle being too thick, I have noticed that on a older 6-20x. the 4-16 eye position is really critical at the top end and I get a hazey view if my eye is even a tiny bit off, seems a bit dimmer at 16x then expected. I have not used my 6-24 yet. the low profile target turrets are really nice for this price range of scope, they all come with objective and eye piece covers that nikon should save there money on. butler creek 19 for the eye piece, can't remember the obejective number seems like 34
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I find my upper end Leupy glass, and Zeis glass to be better. However, the nikon is priced comparably to lower end Leupy stuff, and is much better! The 4-16x42 Monarch in question was $450. With nice glass, side focus, nice knobs, and accurate adjustments.

Good price, good glass, nice features, and dead reliable adjustments makes a guy confident and happy.

I do agree the reticles are too heavy for targets (eclipse a milk jug at 1k) in the mil dot and bdc models. Same for prarie dogs. They do offer fine cross hairs. And the heavy reticle is great for big game.

Not perfect, but theyre a lot of scope for thier price.