Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on SAUM Need Ring Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

New Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on SAUM Need Ring Recommendations

I have just bought my first Nightforce scope and these dang things are HEAVY!!!

I've never felt the need for "tactical rings" and have been a loyal fan of the Burris Zee Signature Weaver Style rings for several years.

I'm thinking I now need to get some rings that can stand up to the fairly heavy recoil of my Model Seven AWR 7 pound 7mmSAUM 22" rifle and that heavy scope.

I only found one Picatinny style scope base that seems to be up to the task because almost NOBODY makes "tactical gear" for Model Sevens... LOL
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base Remington 7 Matte

Does anyone have any ring recommendations for this heavy scope? I thought maybe I'd try the Zee Signatures but don't want to waste a bunch of powder, primers, and bullets, only to find that I'm wrecking the rings and experience accuracy problems related to the rings.

I don't imagine I'll find very many people that will know what height rings I'll need because Model Sevens don't often wear 56mm objective Nightforce Scopes but I thought I'd ask. The barrel taper is Remington's Model Seven Magnum taper if that helps. I'd hate to have to buy rings and send them back if they're too tall or short.

I DO have some "high" Zee Signatures I can try on it for fit when it comes to get an idea how high they need to be I guess.

Can anyone help? I'm a bit at a loss here with this big bell heavy scope and don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on SAUM Need Ring Recommendations

I can't help you on height but I'll pass on a ring recommendation that I got from the members here. TPS rings - I bought a pair for a 338LM and couldn't be happier with them. They are reasonably priced (relative to most of the high end tactical rings) and the quality and fit/finish are fantastic.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Silver Member

They look like nice rings but it appears that Len only offers them in Low and Super Low.

Bob
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Silver Member

They look like nice rings but it appears that Len only offers them in Low and Super Low.

Bob
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Shame on me, I didn't know Len carried them. I got mine from Brownells in medium. They have high in their catalog as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

I use TPS TSR aluminum rings on all my rail setups.

I also use EGW HD aluminum bases.

30mm Rings | Rings - Scopes | Optics

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...mensionid=6795

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

My choice would be a pair of badger ordnance rings. You should be able to get away with a .885" high rings with a 20 moa base and factory barrel taper. According to badger, .885 is their medium rings. My second choice would be nightforce. According to nightforce, .885 is their low rings.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures