Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Long Range Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2001, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Long Range Scope

Darryl,
Every part of the Leupold scope is manufactured at their factory - except for the lenses which are bought offshore. I foolishly thought that they manufactured their own glass, was looking forward to seeing the grinding and polishing but no such thing when I had a chance to tour the place.

They told me that a good percentage of the scopes that come back DO NOT have any defects, other than an owner who cannot shoot... Their service is great when it is actually needed.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Last I heard the glass in Leupolds is made in Japan, which is fine by me. If it meets L&S specifications and it keeps me from having to spend more than I have to, then so be it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have experience with only two Leupold scopes, 6.5-20x50mm ($530) and 8.5-25x50LRT($656). Both have preformed flawlessly and didn't break the bank when opened my wallet.
Man I realy love that side focus on the LRT, it makes all the difference in the world, for ease of operation.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:01 PM

Dave,

You are correct, I don't care for Leupold scopes.

After I looked through a buddys Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 X 42 at the range one night, I was hooked. I was using a 2.5 to 8 X 42 Leupold at the time. I quit shooting because I couldn't make out the target any longer - it was to dark. I then looked through his scope and WOW what a difference, it was like somebody turned a light on down at the target. I will never go back to a lessor Leupold scope.

I guess I got spoiled after looking through my buddys S&B.

I hunt in low light a lot and thats where the S&B and Swarovski scopes really shine. Although I have never owned a Zeiss or US Optics scope I hear the same thing about them - extremely good in low light conditions.

Have a good one,

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2001, 09:20 AM
Bronze Member

Darryl,When I shot NBRSA 100 and 200 yard benchrest with the 6mmPPC I had to have two 36 BR Leupolds per gun to keep one working.
Usually somewhere under 1500 rounds fired a gun that would agg in the low .2s would start shooting .5s. Id send it off and get it back in a week or so and have another go.Finally got fed up and sent them off to Cecil Tucker and had a locking pin installed on the erector tube.This seemed to resolve the problems.I do have a 6.5-20 LRT that has been ok so far.Optically I think its only so so compared to the big euros.As long as it keeps working Ill be happy .be safe dave7mm
Old 08-25-2001, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

Darryl,Several years ago probley 93 a buddie
and I drove over to watch a match at Williamsport.This was the first time Id ever seen this and was very impressed with the range and the groups that were being shot that day.I had a blast watching these guys shoot.At that time I think there were 8 benches as I stood behind the firing line watching I noticed that on this relay anyway that there was not one Leupold scope on any gun being fired.I was shocked, no Leupolds?All I saw were 2 inch Unertls and Nightforce scopes. I turned to a guy standing next to me and asked about this.The guy turned out to be Bill Shehane.He said
"Leupold,who turned out the lights"Im a big S&B fan so I knew where he was comming from,I just never figured it mattered for target work that much.So I guess my question is how do you feel Leupold stacks up against Unertl and Nightforce?Ever see a Nightforce fall apart? be safe dave7mm
Old 08-25-2001, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

Darryl,Several years ago probley 93 a buddie
and I drove over to watch a match at Williamsport.This was the first time Id ever seen this and was very impressed with the range and the groups that were being shot that day.I had a blast watching these guys shoot.At that time I think there were 8 benches as I stood behind the firing line watching I noticed that on this relay anyway that there was not one Leupold scope on any gun being fired.I was shocked, no Leupolds?All I saw were 2 inch Unertls and Nightforce scopes. I turned to a guy standing next to me and asked about this.The guy turned out to be Bill Shehane.He said
"Leupold,who turned out the lights"Im a big S&B fan so I knew where he was comming from,I just never figured it mattered for target work that much.So I guess my question is how do you feel Leupold stacks up against Unertl and Nightforce?Ever see a Nightforce fall apart? be safe dave7mm
Old 08-25-2001, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Hello Again
At present in the 16 1/2 Lb class there are more Leupolds then anything. Very few Nightforce scopes are being used in that class because they are very heavy. Hence comes the Leupold LR.

Back 10 yrs ago there were more Unertls being used then ANYTHING. Very few NF were being used back then.
The most used scope at Williamsport right now is the Leupold by probably 2 to 1.
There are still some Unertls and several NF being used. The NF is gaining popularity to some of the Heavy gun shooters.

If you were there during a World Open match and Shehane was there, you probably did see a few NF scopes. He is a big distributor or them and most of the shooters in the southern clubs use them.

It's still a choice every shooter must make for his own shooting ability. The Leupold, Nightforce, Unertle and others will not be satisfactory for every shooters eyes. Maybe some like the Weaver or Tasco targets.

I like the Leupold LR for match shooting at 1000 yards and also the Mark 4 that has been bumped up to 24X.

It doesn't make them (Leupolds) the best because I use them, then again, it doesn't make them the worst either. Just the best for me is what is important and I have tried all the above mentioned scopes.

You must try all of them and then make your own decision. I can't say what is the best scope out there. I can find fault in any of them.

Later
DC