Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Long Range Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2001, 03:34 PM

New Long Range Scope

I understand that Schmidt & Bender will be comming out with a 6 to 24 X 50 scope. I don't have any details as of yet but will list them as soon as I find out.

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Long Range Scope

34mm main tube. Expect to pay about 1800 bucks.......if you happen to be in Germany. Expect to pay more here.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:44 PM

Lee,

Where did you get your pricing? That sure sounds high. Are you going strictly by "List" price?

Do you know if this scope will have a magnifying or non-magnifying reticle?

Thanks,

Old 08-22-2001, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Don-
I have a friend in Germany. I also get the occasional gun magazine from there. That's list in Germany which will no doubt be less than US.

While stationed in Germany I bought a Swarovski 6-24x50 for US $985 one day when the exchange rate was in up in favor of the dollar and before they had time to adjust prices. That's the one that goes for $1500 in the US. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2001, 09:10 AM

Lee,

I own and use a Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 PM and a Swarovski 6 to 24 X 50 with a dot reticle. The Swarovski has target knobs and I use it on my 22 CHeetah MK 1 mostly for varmints, sometimes for culling does (whitetails). I don't know if prices have gone up since I bought my 6 to 24 X 50 but I paid around $1200 for it (3 years ago), not the $1500 you mentioned.

You got your Swarovski at a good price, thats for sure.

I haven't checked on the pricing for the S&B 6 to 24 X 50. As soon as they are available I will check pricing.

I saw on another site where a dealer was selling "new in box" S&B 1.5 to 6 X 42 S&B scope for $700.00 plus $17 shipping. I have that scope on my 375 H&H Ackley Improved. I wish I had known about that dealer before I purchased mine - I paid $810 for mine.

I have and use a Swarovski 2.5 to 10 X 42 on my 7mm mag. I did have a Leupold 2.5 to 8 X 42 on it but it spent more time at Leupold being repaired then it did on my rifle. They may have a good warranty - they sure need it. I will never go back to Leupold scopes.
I have never had to send back a S&B or Swarovski scope for any reason.

Good Hunting,

Old 08-23-2001, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Shaky

Sounds like you really don't care to much for the Leupolds! I've never had any trouble with them but I believe we may be a fair bit alike, something bites me on the ***** a few times and I don't much care for it. (I had two Mercedes like that and I'll never own another one, in fact, I wouldn't take a FREE one if it was offered.)
Unlike you, Leupold has not failed me, heaven forbid that they should, I really do like thier scopes and I'm not sure how I'd ever be able to afford changing them all out.

Down at the shoot at the BadLands Tactical Training Center in Grandfield, OK a fella had a Swarovski scope on his rifle...the scope broke!! A rare sight indeed, things went sort of 'all stop' and we all got a look at the thing. (A bit like having a Unicorn prance past, better get a good look because it's not likely to happen again.)

The windage adjustment mechanism became detached from the scope!! It was a nice looking piece of metal tubing at that point but fairly useless as a scope [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . The owner felt pretty sure that the problem would be fixed by Swarovski, everyone else was in agreement!

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 08-23-2001, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Hello

A very simple solution here.

Buy two (2) Leupold Longrange 8 1/2X to 25X or Mark 4s for what one (1) of the above mentioned scopes cost and when one breaks (if it does) put the back up on while the other is getting fixed. The turn around time is about two weeks in most cases.

I have not had a problem with any of the LR or Mark 4 scopes to date. The clarity is extremely good and i have not looked in ANY scope that is sharper then them to date.
Of course, everyones eyes are different.

I guess I'm sort of a traditional American guy as I believe the Leupold is still made in the USA from my last information.

Later
DC