Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New to long range choose my Rem700 rings and bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 AM

New to long range choose my Rem700 rings and bases

Hello all i'm trying to build up my rifle to shoot 1ooo to 1200 yards or so but need help choosing rings and bases for my scope, not sure what base 0 degree or 20 moa and if someone can recommend a good brand. Here are the rifle specs it is a Remington 700 lss 7mm RUM I found a load that seems pretty accurate it is 89 grs. Retumbo with a 180grn. berger bullet the scope I just got is the Vortex viper HS LR 4-16x44. What would be good rings and bases for this setup and do I need 20 moa bases to get to 1200 yards. Thanks for any help offered!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New to long range choose my Rem700 rings and bases

No you will not need the 20 moa rail to get to 1200 yards with that set up. But later if you want to go farther you probably will wish you had it. A 20 moa rail will allow a 100 yard zero and add that 20 moa back to your elevation above the zero. The Viper is not long on internal elevation so I feel the choice of a canted rail would be good.

So, here is my advice. Rails and rings are definatly a "get what you pay for" item. A good rifle and scope can be degraded fast with poor quality mounts. I would spend a little more for a solid platform that will insure no movement even after 100's of rounds are fired. I will suggest you go for the Nightforce 20 moa rail and a set of the low (.885 or 1.0) ultralite Nightforce rings. These are quality items at affordable prices compared to the cost of the rifle and scope. You have a good start to a long range rig, so keep it going with some good mounts.

The NF rail and rings for a long action REM 700 is something you will be able to use for many applications for years to come. So these mounts could be with you for a very long time even if rifles or scopes are changed. Also if you decide you no longer need them they are very sellable as used mounts and sought after. So resale prices are good and your investment is protected.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Great Thx. For the insight Broz will definitely look at that setup.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

On the advice of another LRH'er, I put a set of TPS rings on my last build. For the price, I was (and eemain) extremely happy with the quality. Worth a look IMO.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Id use an EGW 20 MOA rail and Leupold QD rings
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks Guys! will look over those options . Cant wait to get this rifle set up and see how it shoots at longer ranges.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Badger ordnance, midwayusa has there 20moa base on sale I think this month!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures