Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Leupold reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Bronze Member

New Leupold reticle

So I am sure everyone has seen the new reticle by Leupold, the call it an MOA reticle. I fully understand and I have been trained on the MIL reticle as well as how you use MOAs to dial in your dope. But how do you use a MOA reticle? Has anyone seen this before?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Leupold reticle

i GOT A E-MAIL THAT IT WAS out. Did nto bother to look at it because I favor Mil. If you trained mil, why would you have any interest, get a Leupold TMR, m5 turret, and ffp,best of everything or splurge and get 34mm model w/locking turrets
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndreddevil View Post
So I am sure everyone has seen the new reticle by Leupold, the call it an MOA reticle. I fully understand and I have been trained on the MIL reticle as well as how you use MOAs to dial in your dope. But how do you use a MOA reticle? Has anyone seen this before?
If you know how to use a MIL reticle then you know how to use an MOA reticle. They are both angular measurements. The only difference is the size of the measurement.

There are many, many MOA reticles on the market. Leupold is just about the last company to offer one.

If you understand MIL and MOA turrets and MIL reticles I am not sure why you don't understand MOA reticles. Maybe I am not understanding your question.

Scot E.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Scot E, while MILs and MOAs are both angular, thay aren't the same quantities.
So math for range estimation would be different, right?

Well I should just blurt it all out,, but I'm a laser ranger/dialer..
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

The angular measurment is 1/1000 of a radian. So it is a ratio that stays the same no matter what type of measure you give it.1mile@1000 miles,1 meter@1000 meter,1 yard @1000 yrd, 10 cn@100 meter, 3.6''@100 yrds.mill based works in tenths, not hard to figure.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

Well I saw a few different responses, perhaps I was not clear on what I was asking. First off I am definitely not looking to try anything new, I understand mils so I am sticking to them. And yea I understand an MOA is a measurement just like a mil or a degree, you just gotta know what they represent and how to apply them to get your dope. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with that particular reticle. If you look at a mil reticle they seem very simple regardless if it is the more known one measured in tenths or the Marine version that is measured in eighths. That MOA reticle by Leupold just looked very busy and did not make much sense to me. But I do appreciate the feedback guys
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

I received a email from Alan Ransom( Head of Leupold Technical Services) Jan 9th and he said the MOA reticle won't be avaiable until next year. He said they might be able to speed things up but won't know until May of this year. Well I quess they sped things up. I will contact him and find out.