Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Bushnell Elite® 4200 Tactical scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Bushnell Elite® 4200 Tactical scope

Not so warped opinion!

Tried the mil dot ranging thing and and each time I compared w/LRF I would have clearly missed.

Also, the last time I put the sneak on one to measure the "depth of chest" about the time I got the tape stretched out the dang thing kicked me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

My challenge is making the first and only shot, spot on.....

Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Tried the mil dot ranging thing and and each time I compared w/LRF I would have clearly missed.

Also, the last time I put the sneak on one to measure the "depth of chest" about the time I got the tape stretched out the dang thing kicked me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a lack of training with the mildot does not make the mildot ranging inneffective..it is evident the challenge here is the one trying to do the miling without proper practice, knowledge and training, as with all things long range.

I take this very seriously, and my experience comes from lots of practice and in-field verification. In terms of measuring the "depth of chest", I have personally measured many downed animals and have developed reliable, average measurements that have been very effective with my mil dot use in the areas I hunt. These have been primarily for mule deer and antelope, which is where I use the mildot predominantly, because the open prairies and ever-present mirage handicap most rangefinders I have used under these conditions.

Although I am tempted to provide these "depth of chest" averages, I feel I must resist because others would inevitably and ineffectively proceed to "Tried the mil dot ranging thing" without the mandatory practice and experience in using the system.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Yep
as I mentioned earlier like yourself practice like in anything and once you've got it YEAAAA. Out of the last 17 years of hunting I've only had the Mildot the last two years. Now I just can't have anything else. I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you a serious about mildot ranging on game, the Leupold TMR and NF MLR or NP R2 reticles are a much more accurate system than the standard mildot, IMO.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Depopulator,
I agree, you have to understand the basics and how to make mildots work. I was fortunate to have been taught by two of the very best instructors in the tactical field - got a sound understanding re field use of mildots for ranging. Ran me through a tactical course as the only student! Spent the whole first day+ in the classroom and on my belly ranging things, never fired a shot.

Having said that I will take and trust a laser anyday. I recently hunted with two Vectors on a Texas Nilgai hunt, regardless of sun conditions or distance we never failed to read a distance. Too bad everyone couldn't experience the performance of those puppies.

As for holdovers - like you I prefer the NPR-1 or 2. Main reason for me is because they work in minutes. Close enough to inches for my brain, just can't relate to 3.6" like the tactical pros. Have some fine scopes with mils in the reticles and turrets, have been told it is the way to go but... The dots offer drop holdoffs if we determine field trajectories - whatever works, works. I like the Mildot Master a lot, beats hell out of 27.77 etc.

In fact I have the mildot info in my stock pack of the ROCK that I hunt with a lot, but have only used it once to make a kill - 525 yard caribou in the arctic.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you a serious about mildot ranging on game, the Leupold TMR and NF MLR or NP R2 reticles are a much more accurate system than the standard mildot, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the money I'd get the IOR 3-18x42 or the 6-24x50 with it's MP8 reticle. I already have the 3-18 and love it. $$$$. Unless I just wait and save, but don't know if I can or want to spend that much on my future .223??
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

Having said that I will take and trust a laser anyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian,

I have had terrible luck with lasers in the open prairie, largely due to a lack of reflective features and the mirage, which is the reason I have learned to mil game.

Vector you say ? Hmmm....Tnx