Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New To Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2002, 10:48 PM

New To Board

New to board, but been calling coyotes and shooting "out there" for years...live in western Oklahoma...I need some advice on a long range target scope..My older eyes are getting picky about optics...I use the leupolds for hunting (have several II's and III's), I looked at a Springfield awhile back, but just wasn't clear enough for me. I want a scope for possibly a .308 to use for target shooting at 500-700 yards. What do you guys recommend?
Old 03-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New To Board

If you look back in the Long Range Optics you will see quite a few commentaries on current scopes. Bottom line is how much money you want to spend - that determines the scope possibilities and to a degree the quality of the optics.

There are some pretty strong Leupold fans here, as well as some very saticefied Nightforce users. Most LR shooters like good optics and perfectly reliable, accurate turrets (adjustment capabilities). There are some moderately priced scopes from Burris and Bushnell that meed these criteria, as well as the big $ U.S. Optics at the high end.

Personally I am very happy with NXS (Nightforce), Leupold MK4's and have had a chance to use a pair of brand new scopes from Nikon that are going to be very good long range scopes when they become available this summer.

Good luck, these guys will no doubt give you some good info.