Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

New Binos - ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

New Binos - ?????

I am interested in buying a new set of binos for general whitetail hunting, not longrange. I'm kind of set on something in the range of 7x42. My price range is $400 - $500. I'd prefder a pair with rubber armor and would take camo or black.

What would you guys recommend?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Lots of Choices

You are Kind of in the middle. If your spending that much most people would say, save your money a little longer and get a pair of Leica or Swarovski. You will end up buying them in the future anyway.

In the 300 dollar range I would look a the Nikon Monarcs. 10X42. I think the compare very closely with anything in that price range. I have the Leupold 10X44 wind rivers and they have treated me well. But I bought my dad a new set for his b-day and I had to give the nod to the nikons. 2 reseasons--I thought the eye caps worked better on the Nikons, The leupolds would collaps when i put pressure on them. the other reason--I thought they had better color and clarity.

Like I said, If I was looking in the 300.00 nikon. 500 range I would save for the Swarovski.

Just a side not--go to a store that carries all the brands and check them out. They will all look the same in the store--take them out side and see if they will put them on the tripod for you. Then you can really focus on the clarity. just a thought, you can really see the diference on the tripod.

Willys46
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Bronze Member

Binoculars, Birding Binocular Reviews, Spotting Scopes, Tripods, Night Vision, Range Finders go here and run the scorecard on the ones you like..
Old 10-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I am interested in buying a new set of binos for general whitetail hunting, not longrange. I'm kind of set on something in the range of 7x42. My price range is $400 - $500. I'd prefder a pair with rubber armor and would take camo or black.

What would you guys recommend?
I have a whole shelf full of $200.00 to $400.00 binoculars, cause I kept telling myself that I could not afford a pair $1,000.00+ of binoculars.
Until someone let me use a pair of 7x42 Leica's for a week. The light gathering capabilities and the ability to focus and look through brush is unbelievable. Get as LOW a magnification as you can because you get MORE light gathering ability and a larger field of view. I bought a pair of Leica 7x42 and loved them until some one loved them more than me and stole them, so I went and bought a pair of Swarovski 7x42, optically I can't tell the difference, it depends on personal preference as eye cups focus knob etc.
Bottom line, save you $ and buy good glass. You wont regret it.
Hey Christmas is comming!
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)