Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which new binoculars??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

Which new binoculars??

Iíve been using a pair if Nikon action 8X42ís for a couple of years now and although I like them I wanting to step up to better optics. Iíve looked at the Nikon ATBís, both 8 and 10 power; I like them and hear they are the best ďbang for the buckĒ. I also stopped and looked at the Zeiss conquest 8 and 10X30ísÖ Wow! I liked them but you donít get as big field of view and although I think they are brighter are they sharper?

Iím partial to the Nikonís, they are such a good value, but I also donít want to have to buy binoculars again for a long time. I havenít heard anyone talk about the conquest binoís? Is there any other pair I should be looking at for the same money? I need to stay around $400.00.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which new binoculars??

Nikons are a good value...but you might want to consider Swarovski...they are not the only good binoculars out there, but I've seen none better...IMHO... hope this helps...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

I agree the Swarovski are top rated. Some of my buddies like the Leica better. Just depends on your eyes and purpose. Do you wear glasses? This makes a tremendous difference in field of view. Eye relief varies from brand to brand, and even same manufacture and models vary greatly. Zeiss are good, but not tops. Depends on your budget, but like everyone says "buy the best you can afford". Just like scopes, you only get what you pay for! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Leica are the best, but not in your budget.
Zeiss and Swarovski have excellent optics, but i have had problems with models from both fůgging internaly.
Look for a pair of used Steiner Night Hunters or some from the marine / military series. I have a pair of Steiner 7x50's that i have used for nearly 10 years now, Ive used others on loan or test in between,but these 7x50's have taken huge amounts of abuse, have never failed, are water tight, field tough and are my favourite bino's, opticaly they are as good as either zeiss or Swarovski, i know because we have tested them. Make sure you get a waterproof set and not a water resistant set. A Steiner did produce a cheap line for a contract they had that where only water resistant, (was a mil contract for a very dry country).
The Night hunters are water tight 100% asare the Military Marine series. take a look at the steiner web site as all the info is available there.
Pete
Old 02-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

IOR makes some very good binos for the money. I don't have a set, but several guys online rave about their performance..sakofan...
Old 02-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

TAC,
On this forum I will bet that there is not one viewer that has just one gun, most of us have several (or more) so on a 10/22 you can justify putting on a crappy scope and having your best scope on a custom 6br,but most people just need one pair of bino's and I dont think you could get a pair that you could be happy with for a long time for $400. Save a few hundred more and get an awesome set that will last you a lifetime. My pair is swarovski 10x42slc and I would not trade them for any thing else I have tried ,there are others in the same league but plan on spending at least $800
B
Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 AM

my vote has to go to Swarovski, I own 2 spotting scopes and three of their binos. I have spent thousands of hours looking through them as a sheep guide. I am convinced you cannot go wrong, save up and get good ones.