Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need for "tactical" scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need for \"tactical\" scopes

Davesok

Thanks - good points.

I would like to explain my need and my conclusions (to which some here have already contributed); as I think others here must have adressed similar issues in their hunting needs - and throw myself open for advice. It seems reasonably within the purpose of this thread

I like walk around shooting mostly at rabbits form 15 hopefully to 500 yards with .223, though I have other gadgets and shoot other things from time to time

I currently use a remmington 700 vs .223 26 inch which as far as I can tell is more accurate than I - and even with premium factory ammuntion seems to be dead on at any range. However as I cannot judge the distance 450 paces is my furthest hit on a rabbit. It is a great rig but unweildy when trying to shoot the bunnies 15m away that just look at you when you walk around a bush ... particularly with the bipod firmly attached - the rig is very nose heavy. The overall weight is not really an issue

So I have ordered a Blaser R93 profesional with a fluted match .223 26 inch. This will lower the weight (a pound or so ) and shorten the rifle ( a couple of inches) due to the unusual action that will improve balance a lot - even with a bipod attached

Hence for a scope I want a relatively adaptable scope that is also good in low light and while can do off hand shots quickly can do longer range shots without too much delay - as feeding rabbits often move around and annoyingly behind cover.

Hence looking at somethin like 4-15X50 tactical. From lots of advice as
- even for small animals larger magnification than 15 is not needed in the field
- the low end magnification should be fine for the off hand shots (and good if I use it on the .308 barrell for larger game)
- 50 mm is good for low light - but I gather 55 starts to challenge getting good cheek weld
- tactical reticules allow for quick holdoffs if there is not time to dial in - especially the new 2nd generation like Leupold's TMR, NF's NPR2 or 1/2 mil reticule. The range finding component is not particularly useful on small animals at distance due to the ease of estimation error. Will need to get a laser rangefinder

My favourites are Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 at 30 oz - over Leupolds similar MK 4 tactical at 22 oz or the S&B 4-16 at 30 oz.

The question is with the NF and S&B would the weight of the scope overwhelm a standard sporting rifle (especially when say I have the .308 standard profile barrel on it)- The answer I get is no it won't - it will be fine

Anyone agree or dispute the "thread" of logic
Old 05-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

S&B PM2 4-16x50 would be my choice everytime out of the two scopes you have come down to. Have/had one (exchanging it for the S&B PM2 5-25x56).

As far as the Blaser goes, had one of them also then I exchanged it for a rifle.

David.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Gold Member

Blaser, did some one say Blaser? the questions asked about scopes should also have been asked about rifles before you ordered. I refuse to sell Blaser, if some one wants a Blaser, i send em some where else. The Blaser R93 is just the opposite of tactical milspec reliable. its a pile of junk rifle backed up by oneof the best advertising campagnes in firearms history. If Blaser had spent half of what they did on advertising on development of the rifle, they might have something. The R93's are all accurate. But are not dependable.
Tactical scopes and kit.. i use only S&B PMII. i like mil spec kit as you can usualy rely on it (but that isn't a given as the military also buy crap from time to time)
A lot of it is the Guchi factor i must admit. I was long since bitten by themil spec tactical bug. i go hunting dressed and carrying kit other folks would go of to war with, matt mil spec finnishes on rifles turn me on, as does a cammo stock. but then i have DPM cammo curtains and bed sheets. Heck i even had a girlfriend once who i got to wear my repirator and my load bearing equipment(webbing for us brits) during sex..
what i'm trying to say is that one can overdo it in the tactical direction and some times i do. The thing to know is what and when to buy mil spec tactical and when not. Forums like this are great for passing on ideas and asking such questions. Hope i haven't peed on anyones bon fire with my loathing of the Blaser R93.
Pete
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Come on guys, i was only having a laugh

I certainly don't like the Blaser,, and yes one can take the tactical thing to far, but mil spec kit usualy is tough. The danger is when we call something to do with weapons mil spec, we are in danger of the anti's trying to ban it.
Pete
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
daveosok

Blaser R93 huh. Well then stick as expensive scope as you can on it since the Blaser runs oh around 5k (USD) another 1500 to 2500 for Night Force or US Optics isnt going to make much difference.
You could have opted for a Christenson Arms (not sure if I spellt that right) carbon fiber barrel and changed your weight and balence of the rifle for a lot cheaper than the Blaser. They are nice rifles but you sure went from one extreme to another LOL. I guess if I could afford the Blaser I'd get one too.
I did send a guy an email about a Walther WA2000, 35k new, 30k used, one can dream cant he [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck with your new rifle and let us know how the bunny bustin comes out.
Dave
Old 05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks

It is a very significant purchase and I have spent a fair amount of time considering it. Part of the advantage is the extra features - takedown for traveleing with the family and swap barrels. Its a do it once and do it right type approach. I asked for advice on a number of forums about the blaser - seems people love it or hate it but all agree that it is accurate.

same for the scope - also I expect scopes are a little more sensitive than the rifle and so going for the robsutness of milspec for when the rifle does fall over or bangs on that rock .... In general though it will be a well looked after hunting rifle

Why the S&B versus nightforce?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

I could organise you a far better system than the Blaser R93 http://www.roedaleprecision.com/sws2000rifles.html . have a look at the pics. but not that it be said that i'm trying to sell what i have. You'd be better off with a Sig SHR970, it also is is take down, or the Sauer 202 (or 3000)than the R93. The R93 has potential. but needs developing.
Why S&B over NightForce. better optics and for me ergonomics. However, the NXS does provide advantages for pure match shooting.(which will be encroached on by the new 5-25x56 S&B)
Pete