Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need A Standard 1-Piece Base - New Winchester Model 70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Re: Need A Standard 1-Piece Base - New Winchester Model 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kaney View Post
The base i have has 3 holes, 1 at the windage end and 2 up front. From the windage hole to the first hole on the dove tail end is 3& 13/16" ctr to ctr the dovetail holes are 7/8" ctr to ctr apart.
Okay, I was able to make some measurements. That would appear to be a long action base, Gary. Although my holes are 7/8" center to center, that measurement is about 3 1/2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Thanks for the link, Feenix. That's definitely an option.

I called Winchester today (why do they not have a simple email link?) and they said that I have a standard short action and that any SA base will fit. This doesn't jibe with my gunsmith, so I wandered over to the gun store and talked to them about ordering a basic Leupold 1-piece base. It turns out that one of them has the same rifle. He said he spent a long time looking and buying bases and never did find one that fit. They were all too long, or too short. It would appear that this may be an intermediate length action, or at least the holes are lined up speshul.

Thanks you both for the ideas and the help!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

I had the same problem with a Mod. 70 Coyote Lite i bought. Circa 2005 bought it in 2007. Those dates should tell you everything if your up on Winchester. 05 is the year they shut the plant down in CONN. Any way the rifle was a standard 243. The holes drilled for the scope base were for a WSSM. How i found out was by calling Warne. The lady i talked to there was very knowledgable about thier bases and what hole spacings were for what actions. Give them a call.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM

I figured it might be the WSSM spacing. I have to ask why the company would further complicate things by offering a third spacing setup. What is the point? I'll go ahead and call Warne. Thanks, Gary.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Well at the end of the CONN. plant quality control went out the window. I'll probably ruffle some feathers here, but it is nothing more than union ********. That is exactly why Winchester pulled out of CONNETICUT.