Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need some seasoned advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need some seasoned advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Y

16 weeks of waiting for a reputable company to make my Remington barrel was a complete fail, I never did see the barrel in all that time after a 4 week lead time was promised. Now I no longer own any more Remington rifles. Problem solved.

Thats NOT Remingtons fault. Give your gunsmith a cussing...and better yet tell the BB who is was and what poor service he gave you
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post

By comparison, on any of the 3 Savage rifles I have built, the fully finished barrel has been $350. Period. And no waiting around for any gunsmith and I know that someone at Shilen gun drilled, reamed, rifled, lapped, chambered, contoured and crowned my barrel and they are selling it as their finished product on which their reputations is built.

16 weeks of waiting for a reputable company to make my Remington barrel was a complete fail, I never did see the barrel in all that time after a 4 week lead time was promised. Now I no longer own any more Remington rifles. Problem solved.

Who sets the headspace on your Savage actions??
Who finishes the barrel and action exteriors?

THere is a lot you leave out when comparing pricing...and besides that...when your all done what do you have? A Savage..thats what!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

Beluebow

Im located south west of the Jonesboro area. (Cant be to descriptive these days) hahaha. But Im not sure if Im dead set on the remmy just yet. Really liking what I see with the Savages these days. But I will pm you if the need arises. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Remington is responsible for the design and execution of the receiver. When their good design is combined with crap execution which then requires you to pay hundreds of extra $ to true your action and you to get into a several month long queue to get it done, that is Remingtons fault. When the lack of a common standard for what constitutes a "trued" Remington receiver results in the complete absence of Remington prefit barrels, that may not directly be Remingtons fault, but it is the fault of the collective cottage industry that surrounds this product.

If you search for my previous postings, I have already had it out regarding the barrel provider. I'm sure the moderators don't appreciate vendor bashing in every thread on this board.

I'm perfectly OK with anyone who wants to go the Remington route, but I want to be clear that financially there is no question that the Savage system is more affordable while not giving up anything in the way of function. And to a large extent, a lot of waiting on gunsmiths is not needed. Popular caliber barrels can be bought at Midway or Brownells. Specials you are going to have to wait for, but all you are waiting for is the barrel maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Thats NOT Remingtons fault. Give your gunsmith a cussing...and better yet tell the BB who is was and what poor service he gave you
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

I set the head space, it is no more than a 5 min job. No lathe needed.

All the $350 barrels I buy are stainless steel and are semi polished. There is no "need" for finishing except if I want the entire action cerakoted, that was not listed in either the Remington or Savage case.

What I have at the end is a rifle that shoots. That's all any of us wants.

Like this:

Total cost < $650 for the rifle, $830 if I include the new stock which was not needed to get it to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Who sets the headspace on your Savage actions??
Who finishes the barrel and action exteriors?

THere is a lot you leave out when comparing pricing...and besides that...when your all done what do you have? A Savage..thats what!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

He's already got the Rem action, and could have a custom LR rifle for $650-700. Wby not utilize what you have? Also, like Sully said, a custom 700 holds a value....A Savage is still a Savage. Not downing them, just saying they are what they are. And custom 700's hold their value and have a large part of the custom market cornered.

Plus, like you said, a trued 700 action is just a smooth operator...It's hard to beat.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Ford vs Chevy etc etc.

What you mean to say is that for an ADDITIONAL $700 to $800 AND a bunch of waiting on gunsmiths, he could turn his Remington into something better. But he could also keep his Remington, spend the same amount of money and have a second rifle. Or sell his Remington and the price would about cover his entire Savage build without having to spend another dime, or just a small amount.

Some people love Remingtons and just ignore their faults, I'm well aware of it. But one cannot have a rational conversation with such people, because my $650 Savage which shoots 1/4" groups is "just a Savage", "still a Savage" etc. It sounds like our education system where people expect to be rewarded based on the name of the institution where they got their degree instead of what value they actually add at the company through their work...

If the amount of cash in your pocket is limited, and you want the greatest degree of control over your accurate rifle project, make it a Savage. If money is more freely available and you belong in the Remington camp, and give a greedy and shoddy company your loyalty, fine. I know which way I vote with my money and I am not rewarding mediocrity. When my ship comes in it will be a Stiller or a Pierce or a Shilen - manufacturers who deliver on the promise of what Remington once was.