Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need some seasoned advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need some seasoned advice!

MudRunner2005

The simmons definitely looks like a good possibility. Thanks for the lead on that. Im wanting one in mil dots so that works out great. Next question would be do yall prefer mil dots or BDC reticle, or just straight cross hairs? Like I said, I plan on dialing in my range, but Im wanting the mils so I can judge range.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer MOA reticles, but luckily I can use both MOA or Milradian systems. If I had the choice between BDC or Mil-Dot......I'd go Mil-Dot.

But everyone has their preference. You might prefer a BDC or just regular crosshairs.

If you plan on hunting with Mils or MOA, and you have an iPhone, download the BulletDrop+ app for your iPhone or iPod Touch. You can input your load data and it will give you a nice drop-chart and you can choose if you want the chart in Inches, Mils, or MOA. It's pretty cool, and it's only like $1.99...Comes in REAL handy. Also, get you a nice lazer rangefinder to help get your distance as accurate as possible for dialing up.

If you want a good scope that has Mil-Dot, that you can dial up with target turrets, this would be a better option than the Simmons.

Konus M-30 Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-25x 44mm Side Focus 1/10

They are very hefty scopes and very rigid in construction, so they aren't as light as some of the higher-end scopes. But they will do the job.

I have the big brother to that scope (8.5-32x52) on my Rem 700 5R .308 Win for range shooting, and it has been on there for 1 years now, and is still going strong. Granted, the glass is not the clearest and sharpest. But for a $330-350 scope it is a good buy, and has lots of features.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Double Post....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Bronze Member

MudRunner2005

Once again thanks for the info. The konus is a little out of my price range, but still a possibility. Im starting to realize there isn't much of a way to be a budget long range hunter. HAHAHA. Anyways, one last question to bother you guys with. Is a heavy barrel necessary? I know that a heavy barrel is stiffer, but rifles such as the M1903 and the M1-D (scoped garand) were shot successfully at long ranges with what ill call a "normal" barrel. So is it a deal breaker or just an added advantage?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

I tried to be one, myself, and also learned quickly you really do have to pay to play in this sport. You can't really cut corners, or else you'll fall behind the pack. LOL

Granted, I don't have any Nightforces or Schmidt & Benders or anything like that on any of my rifles (wish I did), but sometimes the nice mid-priced scopes ($899-1,299) will do just fine.

I learned real quick that alot of the guys on here seem to have plenty of play cash.....I, on the other hand, do not. So it's hard to keep pace, but guys like us will never be on track with most of these guys who can go buy a $3,500 scope on a whim. We'd have to win the lotto to keep up with alot of these guys, as far as money and guns go.

A huge bull barrel is not necessarily necessary for LR hunting and shooting, but they make life ALOT easier and your shots more accurate from the added weight and stiffness. Also, the thicker barrel is more dense, therefore less susceptable to barrel harmonics causing shots to be thrown all over the place.

I am a firm believer that if you're shooting over 500 yards, you need atleast a Weatherby Accumark contour barrel, which is .770" at 26" finished length, which is a fairly rigid and solid piece of stainless steel.

I do prefer my Remington 700 Sendero contour barrels (my favorite), and the Rem M24/Mil contour barrels, too.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

MudRunner2005

Once again thanks for the info. And I got the feelin these boys have a little more play in their pocket than I do. LOL. I was wondering about the slightly thicker barrels I had been seeing and was planning on going down that road anyways, so that helps me make the decision. I also decided to stay with my .270 win, although its not the all holy .308 win, I know the rounds limitations well and I already make my own handloads for it so its less reloading supplies Ill have to buy.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Since you already have a long action with a standard magazine and standard bolt face, you could always turbocharge that .270 a little bit, by stepping on up to the .280 Ackley Improved... You get 7mm RemMag ballistics out of a non-magnum cartridge. Also, 1,000 yard deer, sheep, and antelope sized game capabilities, ALOT of high BC long range bullets to choose from, and extremely flat trajectory. It is basically a .280 Rem (which uses a 7mm bullet) but with blown out walls and a short, sharp neck that builds good pressure (which gives it the good ballistics).

I am fixing to build one myself. I have 2 7Mags, but I have always been intrigued by the .280 AI.

All you will need to change on your .270 is the barrel. Order a .284 / 7mm 1:9 twist barrel in the brand & contour of your choice. Have the smith chmber to .280 AI SAAMI spec, float the barrel, bed the action, and you're set! I would go with a Douglas Air-Gauged Premium stainless steel barrel, cut down to 26" finished length. That will be a #7 contour barrel (great for LR shooting and hunting), and will be a reasonably inexpensive and accurate build. You should be able to get that barrel blank, chambering, and all the smith work for around $450-500, and put that Konus 8.5-32x52, some TPS rings and the EGW 20 MOA base, and the reloading equipment, and you will be in a long range build for under $1,000. You can't beat that!

For reloading you'll need 7mm bullets, .280 AI 40* shoulder dies, and some Nosler .280 AI brass.

Simple as pie!

Quote: