Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

need some help with a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Re: need some help with a problem

Yes I know that.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

As I read your posts, you had a rifle & scope that worked fine. A gunsmith installed a new stock. When you picked up the rifle, took it to the range, the scope was now broken. Right?

You then installed a new scope and you have a problem zeroing the scope. Right?

If so, first take the rifle back to the gunsmith and let him diagnose the problem with the old scope (for free). If the old scope is worn out and the problem is a coincidence, then ask him to check the new scope. It is possible that the new scope is defective. But more likely, the gunsmith did something wrong. What are the odds of the old scope failing during the restock job AND of you buying a new defective scope? Pretty slim.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Here is a very good possibility:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch74 View Post
The rings & bases have been on there for about 4 yrs. Over the winter I had a gunsmith restock it with B&C carbalite stock & had it glassed.
Here is a very good possibility:
I installed a B&C stock (700 ADL)from Midway this winter. The stock was not even close to being a drop-in replacement.
I had to do some major fitting and a lot of bedding compound was needed to do the job properly. I feel the Q.C. at B&C is very poor. If I had not taken the time (a week) to grind, sand, and bed the rifle, there would have been excessive stress in at least 4 points and my rifle barrel would have had over a 1/2" of upward pressure on it. I free floated my barrel.

It is likely the gunsmith did not pay very good attention to details and the stock may need to be rebedded and your barrel free floated. Especially if your stock was any where near as bad as mine was when it was delivered.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

How much verticle adjustment is in each scope? It could be that the problem was there all along you just didn't know cause your old scope had enough adjustment. Maybe.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Here's the update I took the barreled action out of the old stock put the new scope on & bore sighted & the same thing. The old scope I put on another rifle bore sighted & seems fine!

A/C- when I took the new stock off it seemed a little tight to me. I thought the old scope was hosed but that is not turning out to be the case.

Learning- you might be right. I'm not sure how to even tell how much adj. each scope has.

Thanks for all the input guys.

At this point I don't even know what to look for! when I was taking the new stock off the screws were not cranked down to where it seemed bent.