Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need some help clarifying Vortex Viper PST or HST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Need some help clarifying Vortex Viper PST or HST

I have a savage .308 I want to use mainly for hunting but I know its a 1000 yard rife and I would like to work up to being able to hit targets at that range if possible... Or as far as my skill will allow. I have narrowed my choice of scope and brand down to two scopes. My price range is 800-1000 I know its not much but I'm on a tight budget.
I only know a little bit about scopes and I haven't had any real practice with one type or another so far. One of the scopes is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16-50 FFP
The other which the Vortex rep recommended to me is the HST 4-16-44 SFP
Out of these two I would like the one that is most versatile overall.
I have been researching for days and its driving me crazy.
Im stuck on two things... FFP and SFP, MRAD with hashmarks or MOA.
The Calculations for either one are pretty straight forward so shouldn't be an issue to learn. I notice that MRAD and FFP seem most popular. Im strongly leaning towards the HST in hashmark MRAD and SFP. I know that MRAD and SFP don't go together well but for some reason thats how the HST is made... The manual says its highly accurate and ranging can be done in the highest magnification.

My first question and this may seem a bit blond but... How does one range from highest magnification?

Can the MRAD on this scope be used to range up close still ?

What make the HST better than the PST for both hunting and long range ?

If I have to make a quick up close shot while hunting is it possible with the HST like are holdovers and such still possible ?

And is there really any benefit of MOA over Mil dot ? Keeping in mind I really want to use my reticle for calculating range and so on. I believe MOA is a little more precise (finer adjustments) correct me if I'm wrong ?

sorry I'm half asleep typing this after a long day at work... This is my first post here. i just had to get this figured out... Im even going over this stuff in my sleep now lol

Thanks !

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need some help clarifying Vortex Viper PST or HST

There is no comparison

The PST scopes differ from the regular Viper scopes in that they have an illuminated reticle and exposed target turrets. The FFP adds about $200-300. Whether you need it depends on the type of hunting you do. Slow and considered - get the SFP. Fast and furious (intermediate magnification, no dialing, using the reticle for lead and hold over) get the FFP. Of course if you have the PST, you can dial for the shot too, if you have the time.

The HS scopes drop the reticle illumination (like all the "regular" viper scopes) and the new HS-T model has a different SFP reticle and target turrets on elevation and windage. Unlike the HS-LR scopes the T model is 1/4moa clicks for elevation and windage. The HS-LR scopes have a 1/2MOA elevation click and 1/4moa windage click. They also have capped windage turrets and if you don't get the LR version the elevation knob is capped too. At that point one is getting a long way off the PST spec, even for a SFP version.

But lets get this straight:
A Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP is a $900 scope with a 50mm objective
A viper PST 4-16x50 SFP is a $700 scope with a 50mm objective
The Viper HS-T 4-16x44 is a $560 scope with a 44mm objective. Which not a bad scope at all, but not a PST.

Perhaps he is giving you choices for different budgets ? If a less bulky scope fits your needs and you would rather save a bit of cash, the HS-T might be a great choice.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

The hs-t is cheaper because it is a 44 objective and has no lite reticle (and a slightly different reticle), other wise it is has the same features as the pst. It is the scope I have been hoping for but with more power hopefully a 6-24x50 and a 8-32x56 would be cool.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

With the sfp scope the hashmarks and holdovers are only accurate a one magnification. With the ffp scope they work no mater what power you are at.
I have the pst 4-16x50 ffp in MOA. It is a very good hunting scope. Clicks are positive and repeatable. Illumination is nice with several different settings. It is quick and you can dial or hold off. I usually dial elevation and hold for wind.
The cons are the reticle is too thick for serious target work and the glass is only ok as far as brightness and clarity.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatbones View Post
I have a savage .308 I want to use mainly for hunting but I know its a 1000 yard rife and I would like to work up to being able to hit targets at that range if possible... Or as far as my skill will allow. I have narrowed my choice of scope and brand down to two scopes. My price range is 800-1000 I know its not much but I'm on a tight budget.
I only know a little bit about scopes and I haven't had any real practice with one type or another so far. One of the scopes is the Vortex Viper PST 4-16-50 FFP
The other which the Vortex rep recommended to me is the HST 4-16-44 SFP
Out of these two I would like the one that is most versatile overall.
I have been researching for days and its driving me crazy.
Im stuck on two things... FFP and SFP, MRAD with hashmarks or MOA.
The Calculations for either one are pretty straight forward so shouldn't be an issue to learn. I notice that MRAD and FFP seem most popular. Im strongly leaning towards the HST in hashmark MRAD and SFP. I know that MRAD and SFP don't go together well but for some reason thats how the HST is made... The manual says its highly accurate and ranging can be done in the highest magnification.

My first question and this may seem a bit blond but... How does one range from highest magnification?

Can the MRAD on this scope be used to range up close still ?

What make the HST better than the PST for both hunting and long range ?

If I have to make a quick up close shot while hunting is it possible with the HST like are holdovers and such still possible ?

And is there really any benefit of MOA over Mil dot ? Keeping in mind I really want to use my reticle for calculating range and so on. I believe MOA is a little more precise (finer adjustments) correct me if I'm wrong ?

sorry I'm half asleep typing this after a long day at work... This is my first post here. i just had to get this figured out... Im even going over this stuff in my sleep now lol

Thanks !
The HST is not better for both hunting, and long range shooting. Its better for some people due to its price, but its not better overall.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

for me that choice is simple, I would go with the viper hs-t in MOA. I don't need an illuminated reticle if its so dark I need to light my reticle its probably too dark to be shooting anyways. I also don't need ffp, because if im shooting distance I will always dial my magnification up to full power. if its going to be a fast shot at distance I probably wont be shooting cuz fast and distance don't always go together when shooting. and if its going to be fast and close theres no reason to dial magnification because close being 0-250 yards is well within mpbr and I have no problem shooting that far on 4x-6x and using the main crosshair and holding on vitals or shoulder. also the hs-t does come with exposed target turrets just like the pst. i like the reticle in the hs-t more than what they offer in the ps-t. i like the fact that its subtended moa, so that all you have to do is plug in your ballistics to a calculater and look at the moa drop chart and look at the yardages for each moa drop and then you have your drop data for all the hash marks, also it works for wind as well. there isn't a whole lot of difference between 44mm and 50mm so your not losing much there. and like others have said the reticle on a ffp is very thin on low power but very thick on higher power which i didn't care for. hope this helps
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pills View Post
With the sfp scope the hashmarks and holdovers are only accurate a one magnification. With the ffp scope they work no mater what power you are at.
I have the pst 4-16x50 ffp in MOA. It is a very good hunting scope. Clicks are positive and repeatable. Illumination is nice with several different settings. It is quick and you can dial or hold off. I usually dial elevation and hold for wind.
The cons are the reticle is too thick for serious target work and the glass is only ok as far as brightness and clarity.
True, but, the 2fp hash marks/holdovers can still be used effectively at other magnifications. For example, on my HS-T, at 16x the marks are spaced at .5 mil, at 8x they are spaced at 1 mil and at 4x, they are spaced at 2 mil. Pretty easy to remember and those three power adjustments will do anything I want to do.

The other advantage of a 2fp reticle is that it gets larger as the power is decreased. Decreasing power as the light fades also gives you a larger exit pupil and brighter image. The reticle getting larger and exit pupil increasing as I turn down the magnification in low light are both good things in my book. I've never been able to see the animal adequately at extended range at sunset + 30 minutes anyway. And, I've yet to see a non-illminated 1fp reticle that is visible enough for use in low light at nearly any range, even close.

The one criticism I have of the HS-T so far is the reticle could be a bit bolder. A .1 Mil subtension at 16x would be better for a hunting scope as far as I'm concerned. Much easier to see as the light fades and still plenty fine enough for precision shooting on game animals.

John