Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need scope recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Need scope recommendation

Guys

I am looking for a good quality illuminated reticle scope with some key attributes:

Ideal magnification range of approximately 4-14 power
Duplex crosshair or dot/crosshair reticle
Target adjustment preferred

I have a Nightforce 3.5-15 that works very well, but wanted a lighter scope for a new rifle. I have found the Leupold 4.5-14, but it does not have target adjustment and the Sightron 4.5-14, but it only comes with a Mildot reticle. Anything else out there that I have missed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fergus
Old 12-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need scope recommendation

How about the Hakko products? Rumor has it that you can get them in the land down under... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nikon also makes illuminated 'duplex' reticle scopes, albeit in 3.5-10x50 or 6.5-20x44 version. USA dealer cost (in US dollars) is $443 and $502 respectively.

Good luck finding what you want.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Nate

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not thought about the Hakko. We do get them here, though they donít have a great reputation.

I will look at the Nikon as I have heard a lot of good things about them. What supplier are those prices you mention in your post?

Thanks

Fergus
Old 12-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Nikon prices per Jerry's Sport Center, a wholesale distributor with about 6 warehouses scattered in the eastern half of the USA.

You might try Jon Jackoviak at The Optic Zone (albeit in the US). He has good prices on Nikon, and is a friend to the shooting boards: http://www.theopticzone.com/
Old 12-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Gold Member

I echo Nate's recommendation of Nikon, and Jon at the Optic zone.

Good call, Nate!!..sakofan.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I would agree with Nate and Sakofan. I personally believe the Nikon Monarchs are the very best buy for the money. They are outstanding, very clear and bright. You would not be disappointed with one.

Oh and by the way, thanks Nate and Sakofan.

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited by: Jon Jackoviak ]
Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Just 2 cents from someone that has wasted their time on HAKKO. I have had a HAKKO 8-40x56mm w/Illuminated reticle on a .243 win and it rattled apart within 300 shots. I sent it back it was fixxed rather cheesily, but it worked, the it did it again, and then some of the internal screws came loose. Maybee it was a lemon, but a 600 dollar scope is a 600 dollar scope no matter how yoy look at it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.