Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

In Need of a New Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

In Need of a New Scope

I have a ELR rifle in the works and can't decide what scope I want. I have all Leupold LRT now and like them but feel I will want more than 25x once I stretch out to 2500yds. I am leaning towards a NXS 12-42. Is this a good choice? I don't feel the glass is any better in the NXS vs Leupold as I would rate them as comparable. No doubt Nightforce is stronger and more durable but for twice the money, I will stick with Leupold. Is there any other $1000 to $2000 scope with a high end of 36x-42x, target knobs, side focus, and reputable? Any input appreciated.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: In Need of a New Scope

That would be an excellent choice.

But if you got money to burn, check out one of these!

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/index....om-rifle-scope

I want one bad!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Nightforce lists the 12-42 nxs as having 45 moa adj. range. My loads won't get me to 1500 yards with that. What ranges are you shooting now, and what scope are you using?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhardle View Post
Nightforce lists the 12-42 nxs as having 45 moa adj. range. My loads won't get me to 1500 yards with that. What ranges are you shooting now, and what scope are you using?
This is your issue with the 12-42 NXS...you just don't get the elevation to dial.

I personally feel that right now, the Bushnell XRS with a 4.5-30 and FFP for hold over in your choice of reticle is pretty hard to beat. It's what I'll be ordering up here soon with an H59.

The March optics are awesome for big zoom, but you're looking at a big price tag as well and still get short changed with elevation adjustments.
Most of the high zoom optics are designed for the bench guys and don't need the elevation the ELR shooters need...which is where the hold over comes into play.
You could get a 30-40 MOA rail but that depending on your barrel length, you might start to see in your FOV.

Do the math.
The XRS comes with around 28 Mils of internal adjustment lets say you can use all of them if you pick up a 20 MOA rail, (that's probably wishful thinking but you could always get a 40 MOA rail) and anywhere from 0-30 mils of hold over possible...depending on what you're zoomed in to. On Max power, you can hold somewhere between 6-8 mils pretty easy. Same with the G2 reticle.

SO, you essentially have somewhere between 32-36 mils to get you as far as you need to go. Somewhere around 120 MOA on full power.
Back your optic down to 25x or 20x and you'll have TONS of elevation to hold.
That's a long way out der!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

60 moa would get me past 2000yds so I may have to look at the March.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

I just saw a USO sn-9 for $3500. 230+ moa and 42x magnification. A little beyond the budget, but I can't think of an easier way to do it.