Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need a new scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Need a new scope

I have a new .264WM project coming together and I need glass for it. I'm a huge Leupold fan but I do own a couple of other brands so I would consider something else. This rifle will most likely be used only for pronghorns and I hope to be proficient out to at least 800 yards with it. I'm trying to make it under 10 pounds ready to shoot. My absolute max budget for the scope and mount system is $1000.00. Right now I'm leaning toward a VX3 6.5-20 LR, EGW base and TPS rings.

What are your thoughts?

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a new scope

Like you, I love Leupold scopes and have two MK4s on my longrange rigs. Both have the TMR reticle which is fantastic (especially for my tactical competition rifle). that said, my recommendation for you would be one of the Sightron SIII scopes with tactical turrets and an MOA reticle.

With the tactical turrets there are no scope caps to lose or step on. And with the MOA reticle you will be able to easily measure corrections. What's more the glass clarity is great and their adjustments are sharp, reliable and repeatable.

Sightron Riflescopes SIII Series SIIISS624X50LRMOA

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope

As for rings and bases, look at Burris Signature Rings with the plastic inserts. I use them on all my rifles. They are rock solid and allow you to cant (tilt) your scope without having to use an expensive canted base. They are also much less expensive than most.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a Leupold fan too. Problem is, Leupold isn't a fan of pricing optics reasonably anymore.

I don't see value for price unless of course you qualify under Leupold's program for a steep discount, then the optics are actually in line with price versus value received and candidly, I think the program is a crock of shitte.

Why not just offer acroos the board pricing to everyone? What makes Leupold prejudiced toward the normal consumer. I won't be buying Leupold anything, again, ever, nothing.

Far as Sightron, I know of 2 owners that had issue with BigSky scopes pertaining to elevation adjustment. Sightron replaced the units, but 2 and I know both of them.... Come on....

I do want to know just how an owner sets the cant on a set of insert rings without binding and holding a set MOA incline? I'm a machinist, shop owner and I'm baffled by that statement.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'm a Leupold fan too. Problem is, Leupold isn't a fan of pricing optics reasonably anymore.

I don't see value for price unless of course you qualify under Leupold's program for a steep discount, then the optics are actually in line with price versus value received and candidly, I think the program is a crock of shitte.

Why not just offer acroos the board pricing to everyone? What makes Leupold prejudiced toward the normal consumer. I won't be buying Leupold anything, again, ever, nothing.

Far as Sightron, I know of 2 owners that had issue with BigSky scopes pertaining to elevation adjustment. Sightron replaced the units, but 2 and I know both of them.... Come on....

I do want to know just how an owner sets the cant on a set of insert rings without binding and holding a set MOA incline? I'm a machinist, shop owner and I'm baffled by that statement.
So rather than moan and groan, do you have a recommendation for the OP?

Do a search for Burris Signature Rings and you will see how the inserts allow the scope to be canted without binding.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

My recommendation is........

You already know what I prefer, it's well documented on this site...

I don't care about advertising blather (concerning the ring sets), because it's nothing more than hype. I care less what the manufacturer says, I want to know what the end user says and how it's accomplished.

I want to know how you achieve an accurate ring to ring, consistent cant without using a digital or vernier protractor (in as much as you don't know what the 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 MOA cant value is in a given constant length.... and without placing lineal stress on the erector tube....

Please tell me, I'm all ears.

Pe apprised, this is sa slippery slope....
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

I always thought the sun rose and set in Leupold.....then I tried a Zeiss! And to boot its the bottom of the line Zeiss. Couldnt afford the top shelf models!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I have a new .264WM project coming together and I need glass for it. I'm a huge Leupold fan but I do own a couple of other brands so I would consider something else. This rifle will most likely be used only for pronghorns and I hope to be proficient out to at least 800 yards with it. I'm trying to make it under 10 pounds ready to shoot. My absolute max budget for the scope and mount system is $1000.00. Right now I'm leaning toward a VX3 6.5-20 LR, EGW base and TPS rings.

What are your thoughts?

Bob
6.5-20 Zeiss Conquest....EGW rail of your preference and for myself lately Ive been using Leupold QD rigs ( with the flip over levers)