Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need a new scope in the $1000 range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a new scope in the $1000 range

We aren't going anywhere (at least I'm not) with the getting thicker/thinner reticle lines because I'm a SFP person. Just stating what I've read elsewhere.

I said on a previous post.......

"Me, I have a G7 so it's not an issue. Keep in mind that the FFP will cost more and then there is the reticle cross hair size/growth issue. If I didn't have a good rangefinder, I'd have a FFP. As it is, I don't need one........

Though I like the Vortex better than most offerings, any will be good and all the manufacturers/importers will stand behind them. It's just good business..."

Custom turrets are available from all the leading (unit wise) suppliers, so thats not a big deal.

It all distills down to personal choice and size of pocketbook (or wallet)....
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Maybe once I get a load right dialed in for it I might think about the custom turret. Whatever they have available when I go next Monday I'll pick up. I need it so I can start shooting for upcoming hunting season. My old scope just isn't cutting it anymore. If they have the FFP I'll take that as its what I originally wanted but if not then the SFP would also be fine, wouldn't really hurt my feelings. Just wanted to try something new. Still gonna look at some of the other brands as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Bronze Member

If you are hunting with it take into consideration the warranty. Vortex Viper PST has the no fault warranty. I have several vortex products and love every one of them.

I recommend the FFP, so at all levels of magnification the reticle represents the same measurements.

My .02 cents.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
We aren't going anywhere (at least I'm not) with the getting thicker/thinner reticle lines because I'm a SFP person. Just stating what I've read elsewhere.
I think you misread or what you read was flat wrong. The reticle pattern is part of what gets zoomed in. Yes, the lines appear thicker when you zoom in, because you are zooming in on them, but the background target area is being zoomed in at the same rate of magnification. If the target is 1 mil wide at 6x, it's still going to be 1 mil wide at 24x. That 1 mil is going to take up a lot more of the field of view as you zoom in, but it's still going to be 1 mil on the reticle pattern.

It's no different than superimposing a reticle patter on a jpeg and then zooming in on that area of the picture. The reticle is going to look bigger, but so is everything else. Does that make sense?

As demonstrated here:
Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum=

If the left side of an object you're aiming at is at the left 10 subtension, and the right side is at the right 10 subtension, while at 6x, it's still going to be at the same left and right 10 subtensions when zoomed at 24x, but it's going to take up that much more of the field of view. Saying the lines get thicker is true, but the target gets thicker at the same rate, so I'm not sure what the point is when people say that about the reticle pattern.

If you want the lines to stay the same thickness, perhaps in an attempt to glass with the scope instead of binos, then maybe a SFP scope is the way to go.

I don't personally see the point of getting a scope with any reticle pattern with subtensions of any sort unless it's FFP, otherwise it's useless at all other magnification settings and just clutters up the view. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Check out the Zeiss conquest line for around $1000 and the ranges you're wanting to shoot..I bet you'll like its glass over Vortex, and its been proven a reliable and repeatable scope as it was tested against bigger 30mm scopes as seen on scope tests on www.6mmBR.com/ They've got a strong track record of performance among many on here too.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

I love the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scope and that is why I have 3 of them.

Vortex customer service has been very good to me and I highly recommend them.

Another thing to consider besides the FFP or SFP is the choice between MOA or Mil?

I chose MOA because that is what I have always used since 10 years old and I am familiar with it.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

For your application I would look at the Zeiss. It is lighter and more compact than the big PST.

If you really want one of the bigger scopes, I would go with the Sightron. I have both the PST and the Sightron SIII LRMOA. I like the PST it has a zero stop and illuminated reticle the SIII does not. Still for $100 dollars more the Sightron is twice the scope. The glass is much better in my SIII than my Pst. I also like the reticle in the sightron much better. The focus knob is another difference between the two. The PST has yards on it the SIII does not. I need the yards on the vortex in order to focus it fast because it never gets crisp enough to tell. The SIII focus is very easy to get crystal clear and parallax free.

I like my PST it works well, the SIII is just in another league IMHO.