Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Need a new scope in the $1000 range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need a new scope in the $1000 range

My Vortex PST 6-24 gets cloudy when you reach 15-16x.
It's annoying as heck.
You have to move your eye around in the eye box to find a spot that is crystal clear.
You get some decent options for $750, but the scope haze is a bummer.

Last edited by Earnhardt; 08-26-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt View Post
My Vortex PST 6-24 gets cloudy when you reach 15-16x.
It's annoying as heck.
You have to move your eye around in the eye box to find a spot that is crystal clear.
You get some decent options for $750, but the scope haze is a bummer.

Interesting. Mine is clear as crystal all the way to 24X with no abberations across the entire field of view. The eyebox becomes a bit touchy over 16X, but thats it.

In fact I mounted the PST and one of my Mark4's and compared side by side and to my eye, the PST is as clear at extreme distance/magnification, as the Mark 4 is.

I believe I'd contact Vortex (through their website) and make arrangements to return it. I'm reasonably sure they will make good on the issue. No need to be dealing with any issue pertaining to quality of image.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting. Mine is clear as crystal all the way to 24X with no abberations across the entire field of view. The eyebox becomes a bit touchy over 16X, but thats it.

In fact I mounted the PST and one of my Mark4's and compared side by side and to my eye, the PST is as clear at extreme distance/magnification, as the Mark 4 is.

I believe I'd contact Vortex (through their website) and make arrangements to return it. I'm reasonably sure they will make good on the issue. No need to be dealing with any issue pertaining to quality of image.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

PM sent to you...
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM

Yah i'm going to buy a scope next monday and I'm gonna take a look through a few of the scopes. I'm still really leaning towards the pst. I want the extra zoom for when I do get into those farther ranges. If some do have a problem being cloudy I will ask if I can just take a look through a few of them. I hear a lot more good than bad about these scopes, especially in the 6-24. Would you recommend the FFP or SFP? I don't think it's really a big deal to me one way or the other, just that lots of people also say once they use an FFP they won't go back.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

............If you want to acxcurately range with the scope, there is only one choice. Me, I have a G7 so it's not an issue. Keep in mind that the FFP will cost more and then there is the reticle cross hair size/growth issue. If I didn't have a good rangefinder, I'd have a FFP. As it is, I don't need one........

Though I like the Vortex better than most offerings, any will be good and all the manufacturers/importers will stand behind them. It's just good business,
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
............If you want to acxcurately range with the scope, there is only one choice. Me, I have a G7 so it's not an issue. Keep in mind that the FFP will cost more and then there is the reticle cross hair size/growth issue. If I didn't have a good rangefinder, I'd have a FFP. As it is, I don't need one........

Though I like the Vortex better than most offerings, any will be good and all the manufacturers/importers will stand behind them. It's just good business,
Here we go again about the Vortex FFP reticle getting thicker. It absolutely does not get thicker in relationship to the target you are looking at. The target and the reticle enlargers the same amount when the power increases.

Another reason to get the Vortex is how easy you can get their custom elevation turret.

I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with their custom turret which is dead nuts accurate!!!!!!!!!!

Read this:

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph